Peer-to-peer support group and strategy sessions open to tenured faculty who plan to pursue promotion to full professor in the next few years. Includes two successful senior faculty co-mentors who understand various Associate Professor challenges and productive solutions to them.
Senior faculty mentors: Mary Lowe (Physics) and Matt Mulcahy (History)
To get on the mailing list, contact Brian Norman (English/Academic Affairs).
Kick-off interest session and planning meeting
Monday, October 6, 12:30-1:30. College Center Room M113. Bring your lunch, if you like!
- Information sharing — Loyola and national landscape, best practices
- Idea exchange — Conversation about key challenges and possible solutions
- What next? — Planning for next steps for the group
- Pairings: Matt is creating pairings for periodic check-ins between pairs. These are accountability partnerships and you can share goals and report on your progress however frequently (e.g., weekly, bi-weekly) and in whatever manner (e.g., over email, coffee) suits you. Contact Matt if you'd like a pairing!
- Findings: Brian is presenting on the Associate-to-Full pipeline, including your feedback from the kick-off session, to Deans on 11/17/14 and to all Chairs on 12/11/14.
- Alliances: Mary is considering the most useful version of a spring alliance meeting for all, using your feedback from the kick-off session and successful models elsewhere.
- Grants: Academic Affairs established a new mid-career summer grant to support the specific needs of Associate professors. Same application as the Summer Research Grant, due Jan 16, 2015.
- Writing: Some individuals are participating in the faculty writing retreats. Next dates: Dec 11 & Jan 8-9.
- Mentoring: Some individuals are meeting one-on-one with Matt or Mary.
- Other suggestions? Contact Brian, Matt, or Mary!
"Visualizing Your Promotion Portfolio with Cmap," Janine Utell, Chronicle, 3 Sept 2014
An interesting discussion of a visual mapping tool to help outline a path to promotion, with a link to the tool itself.
National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
Lots of resources and workshops, such as jump starting your research, post-tenure slumps, and more. The founder, Kerry Ann Rockquemore, gave a well-received workshop at Loyola in 2012.
"Removing the Barriers to Full Professor," Kimberly Buch et al., Change, Nov/Dec 2011
"Pathways to Full Professor," chapter 11 excerpt in Darla Twale, A Faculty Guide for Succeeding in Academe, 2011
"Why Are Associate Professors So Unhappy?" Robin Wilson, Chronicle, 2 June 2012
Perspectives on Mid-career Faculty and Advice for Supporting Them
Kiernan R. Matthews, Ed.D., July 2014
COACHE: The Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (Harvard University)
Standing Still: The Associate Professor Survey (key findings)
Modern Language Association, 2009