Framed by the majestic Andes, Chile has long been considered the model economy in South America. Chile's economy grew 5.0% in 2012 and 4.4% in 2013. Chile has maintained a low rate of inflation and continues to attract foreign direct investment, primarily in gas exploration, electricity, and mining.
||Per Capita GDP
Did you know?
- Chile is the world’s 10th largest wine producer and the world’s 4th largest wine exporter; its signature grape is the Carmenere. Thanks to its natural barriers, Chile was the only place where the Carmenere survived the phylloxera epidemic that afflicted other wine-growing regions in the mid-1800s.
Chile’s temperate Mediterranean climate of warm days, cold nights, and well-defined seasons is ideal for grape growing
The Maipo Valley – one of Chile’s premier wine-growing regions
- Chile has the largest copper reserves and second largest lithium reserves in the world. In fact, Chile is the largest exporter of copper in the world.
A typical copper mine in Chile
2005 Study Tour participants in a Chilean copper mine
- Thanks to its large coastline (over 2500 miles), Chile is also the world’s largest exporter of salmon
- Besides salmon, typical Chilean cuisine includes other seafood like mussels, oysters, and conger eel, as well as beef and potatoes. Study tour participants have also enjoyed empanadas (pastries stuffed with ground beef, eggs, and onions) and pisco sour - a cocktail made of brandy, lemon, and egg white
What to See
- Santiago, Chile’s capital, is a vibrant cosmopolitan city with a European flair. With a population of over 5 million, it is Chile’s largest city. Thanks to its modern subway system, getting around is quick and easy. Santiago has plenty of cultural attractions including the Pre-Columbian Art Museum, which contains ceramics and textile works that are over 4500 years old.
The Presidential Palace
- Valparaiso/Viña del Mar are two adjacent cities on the coast. Valparaiso is a port city that is rich in Chilean naval history. Viña del Mar is a beach resort where wealthy Chileans vacation.
Port of Valparaiso
Viña del Mar, Chile
Viña del Mar, Chile