Show Below Creating an ILL Account (download as PDF)
Show Below Ordering Journal Articles (download as PDF)
Show Below Ordering Books (download as PDF)
Directions for Setting Up an ILL Account:
- From the library’s homepage, click on the link on the left hand side that says 'Interlibrary Loan'.
- Click on the “New User” link under the Interlibrary Loan Logon heading. This page will provide important information regarding Interlibrary Loan.
After you have read it, click on the button that says, “First Time Users Click Here” and fill out the required information.
- Your barcode is the 14-digit number on your institutional ID. It usually starts with 22425….
- Enter an email address that you check regularly. This is how you will be informed when your requested items have come in. You don’t have to use your campus email address.
- For "Loan Delivery Method," most people will want to leave their delivery
method as "hold for pickup." This means that materials not emailed to
you (mostly books) will come to the delivery location you select further
down in the form, and you can pick the materials up there. Choose "mail
to address" only if you are usually unable to come to the main or satellite
Loyola campuses to pick up your orders (this also applies to NDMU students). If you are an
NDMU student who needs an item delivered to the HEAT center or another off-campus location,
- Saying Yes to Prefer Electronic Delivery means that when available, your item will be sent to you as a .pdf
- Fill in your local address
- Select your status and major
- Your delivery address will usually be Loyola Circ, unless you take classes at (or can conveniently visit) the
Loyola Columbia or Timonium campuses. Changing this option will enable you to have books sent to the reception desk at the campus you choose.
- When creating a username and password, choose something that will be easy to remember!
- When you have entered all of your information, click on the 'submit information' button.
That’s it! Following these directions will create your ILL account. You can
log back in using the link at the top left of the library homepage. If you
would like to sign up for an account now, click on the button at the bottom
of this page.
Otherwise, you can continue with the tutorial.
How do I request a journal article from Interlibrary Loan?
If you have determined that LNDL does not have an article electronically or in print, you might
want to request it from Interlibrary Loan. Make sure you have enough time – it can take 1-2 weeks for an
Interlibrary Loan request to arrive.
- Sign into your Interlibrary Loan account. Use the
link at the top left of the library homepage and then sign in using the fields presented.
[Note: if you have not already set up an ILL account, do so by clicking on “New User.”]
- Go to the New Request heading on the left hand side of the screen.
Then, click on “article.”
- You must fill in the information that has a red star next to it.
If you are missing any of the required information, please call
the Research Assistance Desk for help.
- On the form, put in the name of the journal. Do not put the name
of the article in this box — you will do this lower down on the form.
Then type in the volume number. If there is an Issue number, include
this as well.
- Type the year and page numbers.
- Put in the author name or authors' names
- Now, add the title of the article.
- If the article won’t be useful after a certain date, you can put this date on the form. If you have not
received the article by the designated date, your request will be
canceled. Selecting a date that is just a few days
away from the date you’re submitting a request does not mean that
you will get the article any faster.
- Once the form is filled out, click on the “Submit Request” button.
- After you have submitted a request, you will be taken to the main
screen of your account, where you will see a list of your current
requests. You can check the status of your requests by signing
in and clicking on the transaction number.
- You can also submit an Interlibrary Loan request directly from a database:
- When you’ve found an article you want, but it’s not available
full-text in the database, click on the Search for Full-Text button.
If the article is available in another research database, you
will be taken right to it. But if not, you’ll get a screen that
contains links to the catalog and to Interlibrary Loan. Check the catalog first.
- Once you’ve determined that we don’t have it, you can
submit an Interlibrary Loan request. If you already have
an account, click on the request form link in Step 3. If you’re
not already logged in to your Interlibrary
Loan account, you’ll be prompted to do so. Then you’ll be taken
to the request form for an article, which should already
be mostly filled out. Make sure everything looks correct, and
then click on “Submit Request” at the bottom.
How do I request a Book from Interlibrary Loan?
If you have determined that LNDL or one of the four schools that LNDL shares
its catalog with does not have a book you need, you can request it for free
through Interlibrary Loan. [Note: You cannot request textbooks through Interlibrary
Loan.] First, make sure you have enough time – it can take 1-2 weeks for
an Interlibrary Loan request to arrive.
Always double-check the library catalog before you request a book through Interlibrary
Loan. If one of the other libraries that shares our catalog has the book you
need, you can order it using the “Make a Request” link in the catalog
record for that item, and it will get here much faster than an Interlibrary
Loan request (usually in 1 to 2 days).
• First, click on the “Interlibrary Loan (Illiad) link on the top
left of the library homepage.
• Next, sign-in to your account. [Note: if you have not already set up
an ILL account, do so by clicking on “New User.”]
• Once logged in, go to the “New Request” link on the left
hand side of the screen. Then, click on “Book.”
• You must fill in the information that has a red star next to it. If
you are missing any of the required information, please call the Research Assistance
Desk for help at 410.617.6802.
On the form:
• Type in the book’s authors or editors and the title.
• If you have any other information about the book, it can be helpful
to include that as well. For example, if you want a specific edition of the
book, be sure to include that information.
• If you have indicated that you want a particular edition of the book
and you know that another edition won’t work for you, make sure to change
the alternate edition option to “No.” Otherwise, just leave it as
• Once the form is filled out, click on the “Submit Request”
After you have submitted a request, you will be taken to the main screen of
your account, where you will see a list of your current requests. You can check
the status of your requests anytime by signing in and clicking on the transaction
number. When your book arrives, you’ll be notified by email that you can
pick it up at the library circulation desk.
• Note: Loyola students who take classes at the Columbia or Timonium campuses
can have their books delivered straight to their campus. If you didn’t
change the campus when you created your account, you can update it in the user
settings menu. For off-campus NDMU students, please contact the Research and
Instruction desk when requesting a book.
Remember that ILL takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks, so get those requests in early! If you need help with any of the topics covered in this document, please contact
the Research Assistance desk (410-617-6802).