Curriculum: A Three Part Approach
Leadership Skill Building
At monthly class sessions, participants sharpen critical skills necessary for effective leadership in their organization and community. Through experienced and professional instructors, participants will learn and practice the characteristics of a results-oriented leader. Skills learned include:
- Leading teams to excellence
- Building collaborative relationships and networks
- Improving critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Learning effective oral communication and active listening
- Project management
- Creating powerful presentations
- Navigating organizational change
- Learning personal strengths and weaknesses
Professional Leadership Coaching
Personal coaching is a tool utilized by some of the most savvy and experienced leaders in business and management today. A professional coach is objective, confidential, and can help a leader unlock the answers within, enabling them to make appropriate decisions and strengthen leadership skills. Our coaches are professional and established leaders in local business and community organizations. Participants will experience:
- One-on-one coaching sessions at least once per month
- A personal coach with years of experience
- An objective sounding board
- Reflections on business and personal challenges
- Guidance in creating a personal development plan
Community Service Projects
A highlight of this program is the involvement with the community. Participants will work in small teams on a short-term community service project that provides them with the opportunity to put their leadership skills into practice. Throughout the project they will build relationships around a goal-oriented assignment, learning from peers and acquiring first-hand experience at making a difference in the local community.
This multi-faceted approach enables participants to build valuable skills and professional contacts, and enhance their ability to become effective leaders in business and the wider community. Many Leadership Essentials graduates stay involved with the community organizations they got to know through their community service projects. Others form connections through their classmates and offer their leadership skills and resources to local non-profits.
Through Loyola's collaborative relationship with Leadership Howard County, graduates of Leadership Essentials are invited to become members of Leadership Howard County.