Please download the application PDF for Leadership Essentials 2013. For more information email email@example.com or call 410-617-2510.
How to Apply
- Please complete each section in full and electronically submit to Loyola University Maryland Sellinger School to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit a hard (printed) copy by mail or in person with the non-refundable application fee of $25, made payable to: Loyola University Maryland. The mailing address is:
Loyola University Maryland
Columbia Graduate Center
8890 McGaw Road
Columbia, MD 21045
- Application materials must be received by noon on Friday, October 5, 2012.
- Required recommendations (Part III) need to be included with the application.
- Part IV – Commitment must be signed by both the candidate and employer.
- The applicant will be notified of his/her acceptance into the program by November 16, 2012.
- Application to the Leadership Essentials program is open to persons living or working in Howard County. This program is targeted for young professionals under the age of 40. Approximately 25 individuals will be selected to participate in the program.
- Leadership Essentials seeks representation from a cross-section of the community—business, labor, education, the arts, religion, government, community-based organizations, ethnic and minority groups.
- Applicants must have the support (financial and time commitment) of the organization or corporation they represent. Part IV requires the signature of the applicant’s immediate supervisor.
The Leadership Essentials Selection Committee will review all applications and select the participants. The Committee evaluates each applicant based upon the merits of the written application and a personal interview.
Based on the application and interview, the Selection Committee will consider the whole person, their level of accomplishment and desire to extend beyond his/her current level of proficiency. The committee will consider the diverse skill set and experience this person would contribute to the class, ongoing education, and/or consistent demonstration of self-improvement/learning. Specifically, the following will be considered:
- Demonstrated passion, motivation, or commitment to developing as a leader.
- Current proficiency of leadership skills at work or outside of their organization. This may include: conflict management, organizational skills, inspiring others, relationship building, leading teams to meet objectives, etc.
- Communication skills, both oral and written.
- Service on a committee or demonstrated initiative to take on leadership roles, either in their organization or in a volunteer capacity.
- Sincere desire to participate in community service.
- Leadership Essentials begins in December and ends in June. Sessions will normally be held on Thursdays. Some of the class days are half days, while others are full day sessions. Attendance at each class is expected.
- The final class schedule will be sent with the participant’s acceptance materials. The program kicks off with an Orientation/Reception on Thursday, December 13, 2012 (tentative). The day-and-a-half long Opening Retreat will be held in late January 2013 (dates TBD). This event will be held locally, and attendance is required.
- To graduate from Leadership Essentials, participants are expected to attend all class sessions, contribute in a team community service project outside of class time, and participate in a coaching relationship. Participants may miss no more than six hours of class time in order to graduate from the program.
- If an applicant is accepted into the program and either (i) does not accept or (ii) accepts and is then forced to drop-out of the program, there is no guarantee that the applicant will be accepted into the program in subsequent years. Once the program has begun, no refunds will be issued.