FAQs about the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT

A program leading to teacher certification.

Who may participate in the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT Program?

Undergraduate students who wish to be certified to teach at the middle or high school level may participate in a five-year program resulting in a bachelor's degree within their area of major and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).

What content areas does Loyola University Maryland offer for Teacher Certification?*

  • Secondary Education (grades 7-12): biology, chemistry, English, mathematics, earth/space science, physics, or social studies – 34/35 credits (includes two 20-hour field experiences for students) 
  • Secondary Education (grades PreK-12):  art, French, music vocal/instrumental, or Spanish
    (includes two 20-hour field experiences for students) 

Internship I consists of student teaching one day or two mornings a week for a semester (fall semester of graduate school).
Internship II consists of student teaching for five days a week for a semester plus a seminar (spring semester of graduate school).  *This program includes a one credit technology course which can be waived through exam or prior coursework. 

*This program includes a one credit technology course which can be waived through exam or prior coursework.

What courses are taken during senior year?

You will take three graduate courses during your senior year, and these courses take the place of undergraduate electives. You will take either one or two courses in the fall and the rest in the spring. These three courses are covered under the undergraduate tuition, thus reducing the cost of the graduate program.

What happens if I do not have three undergraduate elective courses to substitute for graduate courses?

There is the possibility that you can take a sixth course during the semester. Also, you may be able to take a graduate course the summer before your senior year (not covered under undergraduate tuition). Ask the assistant director of the teacher education program for guidance (etrimmer@loyola.edu or 410-617-5376).

When will I begin the remainder of the graduate courses?

You will take MAT courses on a full-time basis beginning the summer following graduation.

What is the cost for the program?

The three graduate courses taken during senior year (in place of electives) are included in the undergraduate tuition. The 2014-2015 (Summer 2014 – Spring 2015) tuition for graduate courses is $525 per credit hour. Your graduate tuition will be based on the tuition during the summer semester you begin your remaining graduate courses. This tuition is all inclusive with the exception of a $25 registration fee per semester, $200 Internship II placement fee and a $150 MAT graduation fee.

Is there any financial aid assistance available?

Yes. Loyola University Maryland works with numerous financial aid programs to assist students with their educational expenses. To learn more about scholarships, loans, and other financing options, please contact office of graduate financial aid at 410-617-5205 or visit our financial aid section.

Where are the classes offered?

Two of the classes during senior year will take place on the Baltimore campus. The third class during senior year may occur in Timonium or Columbia. The remainder of the graduate courses will be offered in either Timonium or Columbia Graduate Centers.

Will I graduate with my Bachelor's degree?

Yes, you will graduate at the end of your senior year.

When will I graduate with my MAT and complete the approved teacher certification program?

You will graduate with a Master of Arts in Teaching in May of the following year.

What does Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) require for certification?

  • Passing Praxis I and II Exams (or ACTFL for Spanish and French) with a qualifying score determined by MSDE
  • Complete an approved program at Loyola University Maryland
  • Practical teaching experience (2 semesters)

The Master of Arts in Teaching program has been approved by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Maryland State Department of Education using recognized state and national standards and include the Maryland approved reading courses.

What are the admission requirements?

Visit the apply page for a full list of admission requirements.

For more information on Praxis exams, please visit the Educational Testing Service website. Follow the Maryland testing requirements. (Request for test results sent to Loyola CEEB Code: 5370)

For more information on Spanish exams, please visit http://www.languagetesting.com/acad_md1.cfm

When should I apply?

Apply before Feb. 1 of your junior year of undergraduate study.

How do I apply?

For a full list of admission requirements and a link to the application, visit the apply page.

More Graduate Admission Information

Contact graduate admission at 410-617-5020 (toll-free: 800-221-9107, ext. 5020) or email graduate@loyola.edu

Please direct any questions on the application process to Katlyn Good in Office of Graduate Admission on kegood@loyola.edu or 410-617-1633.

More MAT Program Information

Contact Liz Trimmer, MAT advisor, at etrimmer@loyola.edu or 410-617-5376.