Donnelly Science 228
Department of Biology
Loyola University Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210-2699
I am studying ecological genetics of a small mustard, Arabidopsis lyrata, the lyre-leaved rock cress. This close relative of the model organism, A. thaliana, grows throughout the eastern part of North America, in a variety of habitats. Our lab is interested in the extent to which several target populations have become genetically differentiated, and whether the genetic differences are due to local adaptation, driven by natural selection. Using a common garden approach, our lab group (Corey Raitta, ’04, Mike Lloyd, ’05, and Meaghan McIntyre, ’05) has demonstrated that target populations (from VA, MD, and NY) are genetically differentiated. We have also determined that for one trait, early root expansion, the populations are locally adapted.
- Veatch-Blohm, M.E., B.M. Roche, and T. Sweeney. 2019. The effect of bulb weight on salinity tolerance of three common Narcissus cultivars. Scientia Horticulturae 248, 62-69.
- Veatch-Blohm M.E, B. Roche, E. Dahl. 2017. Serpentine populations of Arabidopsis lyrate ssp. Lyrate show evidence for local adaptation in response to nickel exposure at germination and during juvenile growth. Environmental and Experimental Botany 138. DOI: 10.1016/j.envexpbot.2017.02.017.
- Roche, B.M., and J. Agnello. 2015. Birds and schoolyard habitats. Ch 19 in, Russ, A. (Ed.) Urban Environmental Education. Ithaca, NY and Washington, DC: Cornell University Civic Ecology Lab, NAAEE and EECapacity.
- Roche, B.M., J. Brown, and I. Shmulenson. 2015. Promoting environmental action competence through urban environmental stewardship. Ch 20 in, Russ, A. (Ed.) Urban Environmental Education. Ithaca, NY and Washington, DC: Cornell University Civic Ecology Lab, NAAEE, and EECapacity.
- Veatch-Blohm, M.E, B.M. Roche, and MJ Campbell. 2013. Evidence for cross-tolerance to nutrient deficiency in three disjunct populations of Arabidopsis lyrata ssp. lyrata in response to substrate calcium to magnesium ratios. PLOS One May 1; 8(5)e63117. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063117.
- Lloyd, M. W., B. Roche, and R. P. Roberts. 2011. Genetic variation and population structure of Arabidopsis lyrata ssp. lyrata (Brassicaceae) along the eastern seaboard of North America. Castanea 76:28-42.
Area of Specialization