The learning aims for the online Master of Arts in Emerging Media program are as follows:
Master Knowledge and Skills:
- Master the technological and communication skills and knowledge appropriate to emerging media.
- Synthesize knowledge using interdisciplinary approaches including sociological, psychological, cultural as well as applied business and marketing strategies.
- Acquire the ability to continue professional development and life-long learning through learned adaptability to the use of new and emerging media.
- Access, analyze and evaluate information effectively.
- Disseminate and communicate information effectively through the deployment of new and emerging media.
Manifest Leadership and Social Responsibility in the Workplace and Community:
- Understand and value individual differences—with particular awareness of the technology “haves” and “have-nots”— and have the skills and sensitivity for working effectively in a diverse and changing world.
- Comprehend the ethical principles appropriate to the field of communication, have the ability to identify ethical dilemmas such as issues regarding privacy and civic duty, and understand the frameworks for selecting and defending a right course of action based on a sound ethical grounding in Jesuit principles.
- Contribute professionally and personally to the broader community through the participation in community service projects.
- Consider issues of justice in making decisions, with particular regard for those who do not have access to communication media and those who may not be savvy users of communication media.
These aims may be summarized as:
- The skill to strategically evaluate emerging media platforms
- The vision to create programs, campaigns, and content utilizing new and emerging media platforms
- The ability to investigate and explain the legal, economic, social, political, and cultural impacts of new and emerging media
- The background to identify new communication opportunities for helping to create a socially just world