Areas of Specialization
- Modern Italian History
- History of Crime
Steve Hughes, scholarly activities 2014-15
- May 21, 2015: Presented a lecture entitled Duello d’onore versus delitto d’onore in the 19th century: diverse questions and various answers at the law school at the University of Catania in Sicily, Italy. Despite the English title the lecture and discussion was in Italian.
- May 6, 2015: Presented a lecture entitled “Virility, Blood, and Honor? Italy’s Belated Intervention into WWI in May 1915” sponsored by the Italian Fulbright Commission and the American Academy in Rome.
- Jan. 2, 2015: Presented a paper entitled “Honor and Crisis: the Chivalric Assumptions of Italian Intervention in 1915” at the American Historical Association meeting in NYC.
- Dec. 10, 2014: Conducted a three hour “walk and talk” historical tour for the American Academy entitled Memory and monuments on the Janiculum: Or how the people who died in the Academy's backyard made and remade the country of Italy.
- May 8, 2015: Offered a segment on Pius IX and archeology for the American Academy’s trip to Ostia Antica.
- Mar. 17, 2015: Participated as a native speaker in a reading of David Mamet plays for class at University of Rome 3.
- Feb. 20, 2015: Participated in the “ten minute talks” program at the mid-year meeting of the Italian Fulbright Commission.
- Dec. 3, 2014: Gave an invited lecture for Catholic U. and Loyola students at the St. John’s Rome campus on “Delitto d’onore”.
- Nov. 25, 2014: Participated in the “five minute talks” program at the American Academy in Rome.
- Oct. 18, 2014: Represented the American Academy of Rome at the book presentation of The Secret Price of History, hosted by the Cipriani Society of Rome.
- Professor Steven Hughes help Marisa Tomei to uncover her family's history in Italy on the NBC show "Who Do You Think You Are?"!