Professor of Spanish
Maryland Hall 448
- Duke University, M.A., Ph.D
- Wells College, BA (Spanish), Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Salamanca, Spain, Diploma for Summer Session
Research and Teaching Interests
- Poetry of Luis de Góngora y Argote
- Spanish Golden Age Literature
- Visual Art in Literature
Recent Courses Taught at Loyola University Maryland
- SN 358: A Survey of Spanish Theater
- SN 352: The Golden Age
- SN 301: Civilization and Culture of Spain
- SN 217: Venturing Into the Text: Reading Comprehension through Literature
- SN 104: Intermediate Spanish II
Lectures and Presentations
In addition to invited lectures given over the years, several presentations have been made at the following conferences:
- American Council of the Teachers of Foreign Language Conference
- Cincinnati Conference on Romance Languages and Literatures
- Conference on Pedagogy at Loyola
- Louisiana Conference on Hispanic Languages and Literatures
- Maryland Foreign Language Association Conference
- Mid-America Conference on Hispanic Literature
- Modern Language Association of America Conference
- Northeast Modern Language Association Conference
- Pennsylvania Foreign Language Conference
- Philological Association of the Carolinas Conference
- Renaissance and Baroque Spanish Poetry Conference
- Southeast Conference on Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Film
Recent Select Service
- Career Development Board (2011-2015)
- Various Hiring Committees (2010-2015)
- Mentor to Tenure-Track Faculty (2010-2015)
- Director of the Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies Program (Fall 2011)
- Head of the Spanish Section of the MLL Department (2011-2013)
- Board of Rank and Tenure (2009-2011)
- Phi Beta Kappa Committee (1995-2012)
- Faculty Handbook and Academic Policies Committee (2007-2009)
- Research and Sabbatical Committee (Spring 2004-2007)
Select Past Service
- Chair of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures (1997-2004)
- Center for the Humanities Steering Committee (1997-2004)
- Co-Founder of the Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies Program (1996)
- Co-Founder of the Study Abroad Program in Alcalá, Spain (1997)
- Founder of the Rho Theta Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi (1991)
- Founding member of the Epsilon of Maryland Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa (1994)
- Senator to the Academic Senate (2004-2005; Spring 2006)
- Góngora's Shorter Poetic Masterpieces in Translation. Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies 357. Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Tempe: Arizona, 2010.
- Góngora's Poetic Textual Tradition: An Analysis of Selected Variants, Versions and Imitations of His Shorter Poems. New York and London: Tamesis, 1988.
- "King Henry IV of France in Sixteenth- and Seventeenth-Century Paintings and Poetry." Lamar Journal of the Humanities 41.1 (Spring 2016): 5-22.
- "Góngora and Heraldry: Portraits of Praise." MLN, Hispanic Issue, 130.2 (March 2015): 183-199.
- "Góngora’s ‘Esperando están la rosa’: A Garden of Heraldry and Symbolism." Cincinnati Romance Review 32 (Fall 2011): 86–101.
- "Góngora's Metaphoric Construction in Two Sonnets about Women." Archiv für das Studium der neueren Sprachen und Literaturen 248.2 (2011): 350-58.
- "Góngora and Christóvão de Moura: Portraits in Nature in the Sonnet 'Árbol, de cuyos ramos fortunados.'" Symposium: A Quarterly Journal of Modern Literature 64.1 (2010): 1-17.
- "'Salomón Segundo' in Góngora's 'Sacros, altos dorados capiteles.'" South Carolina Modern Language Review 9.1 (2010): 32-46.
Select Past Publications
- "'En una fortaleza preso queda': A Landscape of Political Allegory." Romance Notes 47.3 (2007): 245-51.
- "The Complexity of Góngora's Poetic Textual Tradition: Three Representative Works." Revista de Estudios Hispánicos 34.1 (2000): 107-21.
- "Animal Imagery in Lope de Vega's Fuente Ovejuna." Bulletin of the Comediantes 42.2 (1990): 199-214.
- "Ekphrastic and Theatrical Interior Duplication: Irony and Verisimilitude in Don Quijote's Adventure with the Basque." Romanische Forschungen 101.2-3 (1989): 208-20.
- "Mariann Sanders Regan's New Poetic Theory as Applied to Early Spanish Amorous Verse." Philological Quarterly 65 (1986): 1-21.
- "Historical Truth in Góngora's Satirical Vision: Golden Age Spain as Depicted in Three Letrillas." South Atlantic Review 51.2 (1985): 17-34.
- "The Elephant and the Rhinoceros: Stages of a Góngora Sonnet." Romanistisches Jahrbuch 34 (1983): 308-17.
- "The Endings of Góngora's 'Servía en Orán al Rey.'" Bulletin of Hispanic Studies 59.1 (1982): 15-20.
- "Ekphrasis in Juan de Mena and the Marqués de Santillana." Romance Philology 35.4 (May 1982): 609-16.