Chair of Modern Languages and Literatures,
Associate Professor of French
Maryland Hall 462
- New York University, BA, Comparative Literature
- Columbia University, MA, MPhil, PhD, French and Romance Philology
- FR104 Intermediate French II
- FR216 Highlights in French and Francophone Studies
- FR320 Speak Up!
- FR359 The Fantastic 19th Century
- FR360 Topics in French Theatre—20th century
- FR362 CENSORED [Censorship in 19th-Century France]
- ML307D Topics in Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies
- Lautréamont, Subject to Interpretation. Amsterdam: BRILL | Rodopi, 2015.
- “Published Belgian-Style: Albert Lacroix, Charles De Coster, Henry Kistemaeckers, Camille Lemonnier, and the Belgian Contribution to French Decadent Aesthetics.” Modern Language Review (MLR) 117.3 (July 2022) 352-370.
- “Judith Gautier, Vers Libre,and the Faux East.” Symposium: A Quarterly Journal in Modern Literatures 72.2 (May 2018) 77-88.
- “Lautréamont Électro: une musique faite par tous, non par un.” Revue des Sciences Humaines 314 (avril-juin 2014) 145-160.
- “Michel de Ghelderode, the Wooster Group, and postmodernist revisions of La Tentation de saint Antoine.” Orbis Litterarum 67.2 (April 2012) 136-153.
- Review of Victor Hugo, Jean- Paul Sartre, and the Liability of Liberty byBradley Stephens. Oxford: Legenda, 2011. Nineteenth Century French Studies 41.3-4 (2013): 326-328.
- Review of Le Roman symboliste: un art de l’“extrême conscience” by Valérie Michelet Jacquod. Geneva: Droz, 2008. Romanic Review 101.4 (2010): 861-863.
- Review of Ducasse et Lautréamont: L’envers et l’endroit, by Michel Pierssens. Tusson: Presses universitaires de Vincennes et du Lérot, 2005. Romanic Review 100.3 (2009): 398-400.
Areas of Specialization
- 19th - 21st Century French and Francophone Literature
- Textual History and Criticism
- French Theatre
Presentations at Scholarly Conferences
- Nineteenth-Century French Studies (NCFS) Conference, “Cosmopolitans vs. Chauvinists in the Second Empire,” New York, New York, November 3-5, 2022.
- Nineteenth-Century French Studies (NCFS) Conference, “‘Putrid Literature’ Revisited,” Manhattan Beach, California, October 25-27, 2018.
- International Gender and Sexuality Studies Conference, “Publishing and the Woman Question in the French Second Empire,” Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, October 4-6, 2018.
- Nineteenth-Century French Studies (NCFS) Conference, "Naturalism, Published Belgian-Style,” Charlottesville, Virginia, November 9-11, 2017.
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), “Diversifying the Fourth Semester College-Level French Course,” Boston, Massachusetts, November 18-20, 2016.
- Nineteenth Century French Studies (NCFS), “Judith Gautier and Armchair Escapism,” San Juan, Puerto Rico, October 16-18, 2014.
- Twentieth- and Twenty-First Century French and Francophone Studies. "Publish, Perish: Fictional Representations of the Éditeur,” New York, New York, March 6-8, 2014.
- Nineteenth Century French Studies (NCFS), “Fictional biographies of Rimbaud and Lautréamont,” Richmond, Virginia, October 24-26, 2013.
Service Activities, Memberships in Academic Societies
Service: College Activities (Representative assignments)
- Faculty Development Advisory Board (2017-2018)
- Honor Council (2013-2015)
- Faculty Handbook and Academic Policies (2013-2015)
- French Club Moderator (2009-2014)
Memberships in Academic Societies
- Modern Language Association
- American Association of Teachers of French
- Greater Washington Association of Teachers of Foreign Language