Assistant Professor of Chinese
Maryland Hall 467
- Ph.D., The University of Oregon
- M.A., Shaanxi Normal University
Research and Teaching Interests
- 19th & 20th Centuries Chinese Literature
- Women in Chinese History
- Women's Narratives
- Jesuit China missions
Recent Courses Taught at Loyola University Maryland
Courses taught in Chinese:
- CI 100-102 ChineseI-II
- CI 103-104 Chinese III-IV
- CI 201 Chinese Composition and Conversation
- CI 202 Advanced Chinese Composition and Conversation
Courses taught in English:
- ML 340 China through Film
- ML 301 Modern Chinese Literature in Translation
- ML 315D Popular Culture in Contemporary China
- ML 309D Gender, Peace, and Justice in East Asia
Awards and Fellowships
- Dean's Discretionary Fund, Loyola University Maryland, 2017-2018
- Summer Research Grant, Loyola University Maryland, 2014, 2015, 2017
- Stanford East Asia Library Travel Grant, 2017-2018
- Peace and Justice Course Development Grant, Loyola University Maryland, 2016-2018
- Alternate, Henry Luce Foundation/ACLS in China Studies Postdoc Fellowship, 2016-17
- Harvard-Yenching Library Travel Grant, 2015
- Travel Grant, Center for the Study of Women in Society, University of Oregon, 2011-12
- Graduate Dissertation Fellowship, Oregon Humanities Center, University of Oregon, 2011-12
- Graduate Research Grant, Center for the Study of Women in Society, University of Oregon, 2011-12
- Small Professional Grant, Center for Asian and Pacific Studies, University of Oregon, 2010-11
- Zhang, Yu. Interfamily Tanci Writing in Nineteenth-Century China: Bonds and Boundaries. Lanham MD: Lexington Books. 2018.
- 重建历史想像 [Reconstructing Historical Imagination], in 岭南学报 Lingnan Journal of Chinese Studies, 2015, Vol. 4 (1): 61-74
- “Writing Her Way through the Legend of Yue Fei: Zhou Yingfang and Jing zhong zhuan” in Frontiers of Literary Studies in China (FLSC), 2015, 9(2): 281-305. DOI: 10.3868/s010-004-015-0012-0
- “Representations and Actions under the Alien Rule: Women in Mongol-Yuan China,” in Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, Issue 34 (Feb 2014), URL: http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue34/zhang.htm, accessed May 6 2014.
- Zhang, Yu. 異性扮演的文化透視 [The cultural interpretation of theatrical cross-dressing in China], in 民族藝術 (Ethnic Arts) 3 (2003): 80-88.
- Zhang, Yu. 元曲中的浪子 [Life of a drifter: poems of the Yuan], in 東北亞論壇副刊 (Northeastern Asia Forum Supplement), 12 (2002): 32-37.
- (Forthcoming) Review of Binbin Yang, Heroines of the Qing: Exemplary Women Tell Their Stories (London and Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2016). Chinese Literature: Essays, Articles, Reviews (CLEAR).
- Review of Liangyou: Kaleidoscopic Modernity and the Shanghai Global Metropolis, 1926-1945 (Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2014). Newsletter of International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), Issue 72 (Autumn 2015) URL: http://newbooks.asia/review/hybrid-and-highly-contested-pictorial. Accessed October 18, 2015.
- Review of Andrea S. Goldman, Opera and the City: The Politics of Culture in Beijing, 1770–1900 (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2012). Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, Issue 34 (July 2014), URL: http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue35/zhang_review.htm. Accessed July 27, 2014
- Review of Keith McMahon, Women Shall Not Rule: Imperial Wives and Concubines in China from Han to Liao (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2013). Women and Gender in Chinese Studies Review (WAGRev中国妇女与性别研究书评) (2014) URL: http://www.wagnet.ox.ac.uk/wagrev/journals/articles/00910.html. Accessed: July 27, 2014.
- Review of Grace S. Fong and Ellen Widmer, ed., The Inner Quarters and Beyond: Women Writers from Ming through Qing (Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2010). Chinese Literature: Essays, Articles, Reviews 34 (2013): pp. 215-17.
- Review of Xiaorong Li, Women's Poetry of Late Imperial China: transforming the inner chambers (Seattle-London: University of Washington Press, 2012). Women’s History Review 5 (2013): pp. 509-11. DOI:10.1080/09612025.2013.828540
- Review of Wu He, Remains of Life (New York: Columbia University Press, 2017). Asian Review of Books (ARB). URL:http://asianreviewofbooks.com/content/remains-of-life-by-wu-he/
- Zhongguo gudai nüxing shige jianshang cidian 中國古代女性詩歌鑒賞辭典 (Dictionary of women’s poetry in imperial China), ed., Zhao Houjun, Shanghai Dictionary Press (2016). Invited contributor.
- "Bonds and Boundaries: Three Tanci Narratives in Late Qing" (book-length manuscript)
Lectures and Presentations
Recent Presentations at Scholarly Conferences:
- (Forthcoming) “Dora Yü’s Hymn as Literature.” Presentation at the Panel “Gender and Christianity in Early Twentieth-Century China.” Annual Convention of Association for Asian Studies (AAS). Washington D.C., March 2018.
“Dora Yü: Her Words, Her Faith.” Presentation at the Panel “Gender and Sexuality in Ming Qing.” Annual Convention of Modern Languages Association (MLA). New York City, January 2018.
- “Indian Women and Chinese Daughters.” Presentation at the Panel “Chinese Literature before 1900.” Annual Convention of Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association (RMMLA). Spokane, WA, October 2017.
- “From Pagoda Shadows to Chinese Daughters: Varied Images of Chinese Women on Mission.” Presentation at the Panel “Text, Symbol, and Identity in Premodern Asia.” Annual Convention of Mid-Atlantic Region Association for Asian Studies (MARAAS). Towson, Maryland, October 2016.
- “Lottie Moon and Her Friends in Late Qing China.” Presentation at the Panel “Chinese Literature before 1900.” Annual Convention of Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association (RMMLA). Salt Lake City, October 2016.
- “Zheng Zhenhua and the Legacy of Peony Pavilion.” Presentation at the Panel “Tales Told Twice: Adaptations in/from Chinese Literature before 1900-Session III.” Annual Convention of Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association (RMMLA). Santa Fe, October 2015.
- “Women with Talents: Zheng Zhenhua and her Tanci Narrative Meng ying yuan.” Presentation at the Panel “Beyond Stereotypes: Genres, Topics and Subjectivities in Late Imperial Chinese Women’s Writing .” American Association for Chinese Studies (AACS) Conference. Washing D.C., October 2014.
- “Women’s Tanci as Popular Texts in Shanghai: 1900-1935.” Presentation at the Panel “New Directions in Chinese Literary and Media Studies.” Annual Convention of Association for Asian Studies (AAS). Philadelphia, March 2014.
- “Tanci Lyrical Narratives: The Confluence of Music Performance and Vernacular Fiction in Late Imperial China.” Presentation at the Panel “Influence/Confluence of Genres in East Asia to 1900.” Annual Convention of Modern Language Association (MLA). Chicago, January 2014.
- “Dedication, Loyalty and Feminine Virtues in the New Story of Yue Fei.” Presentation at the Panel “In Her Own Image: Self-representation in Late Imperial Chinese Women's Writing.”Annual Meeting of Association for Asian Studies (AAS). San Diego, March 2013.
- The Mrs. Regina Ann Haig International Film Series, Loyola University Maryland, 2014
- The Mrs. Regina Ann Haig International Film Series, Loyola University Maryland, 2013
- Chinese School, Middlebury College, 2013
- Oregon Humanities Center, 2012
Service, Activities, and Memberships in Academic Societies
Service at Loyola University Maryland:
- Academic Advisor, 2015-present
- Loyola Chinese Club Moderator, 2014-present
- Academic Senate, 2014-2015
- Committee Member, Undergraduate Student Research and Scholarship, 2014-2017
- Application Reader for the Critical Language Scholarship Program, 2012-present
Memberships in Academic Societies:
- Association of Asian Studies
- Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association
- Women and Gender Studies Network
- Women in Higher Education Network