Do you love writing in your language class? Do you want to win prizes for your creative ideas? Then enter the Annual Essay Ccontest presented by the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures!
What can I win?
A prize will be awarded to one student from the intermediate level of each language of Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
A prize will be awarded to one student from the advanced level of each language of Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Who can sign up?
Intermediate Level: All students taking 103, 104, or 201 who have a B or more in the fall semester and who are showing an equivalent or higher level in the spring semester mid-term grades are eligible.
Advanced Level: Students in 202 or above who have a B in the spring mid-term grades are eligible.
How do I sign up?
The application deadline is Monday, March 19, 2018 at 4.00. Application forms can be obtained from the individual professor and the Language Learning Center. They should then be filled out and given to Natalie Rock in MH 454.
When and where is it?
Contestants will meet on Thursday, March 22, 2018 from 11.00 - 12.00 in the Language Learning Center, or on Friday, March 23, 2018 from 1.00 - 2.00 in Maryland Hall 442.
What will I have to do?
The intermediate level will write an essay of about two pages in the language studied on a subject given at the time. The use of dictionaries will be permitted.
The advanced level will write an essay of three to five pages in the language studied on a topic given at the time. The use of dictionaries will be permitted.
Winners will receive their prizes at the Awards Ceremony on Friday, April 27, 2018 in the HUG Lounge.
- Sebastian Balve, Intermediate German
- John Farrell, Intermediate Italian
- Salvatore LoPiccolo, Advanced Italian
- Alicia Rodriguez, Intermediate Spanish
- Kirsten Petrarca, Advanced Spanish
- Deborah Kim, Intermediate Arabic
- Jacqualine Asuquo, Advanced Chinese
- Emily DiNubile, Intermediate Spanish
- Victoria Sirois, Advanced Spanish
- Joey Ho, Advanced Chinese
- Timothy Spillane, Intermediate Chinese
- Olivia Earenfight, Advanced French
- Michael Di Bianca, Intermediate Italian
- Stephanie Hakeem, Intermediate Spanish
- Sydney Generoso, Advanced Spanish
- Shannon Conley, Advanced Chinese
- Thomas Antorino, Advanced Spanish
- Luke Haus, Intermediate Spanish