Do you love writing in your language class? Do you want to win prizes for your creative ideas? Then enter the Annual Essay Contest presented by the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures!
What can I win?
A prize will be awarded to one student from the intermediate level of each language of Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
A prize will be awarded to one student from the advanced level of each language of Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Who can sign up?
Intermediate Level: All students taking 103, 104, or 201 who have received a B in the fall semester and who are showing an equivalent or higher level in the spring semester mid-term grades are eligible.
Advanced Level: Students in 202 or above who have a B in the spring mid-term grades are eligible.
How do I sign up?
The application deadline is Monday, March 20, 2019 at 4.00. Application forms can be obtained from the individual professor and the Language Learning Center. They should be filled out and given to Natalie Rock in MH 454. Applications can also be found by clicking here.
When and where is it?
Contestants will meet on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 from 3.00 - 4.00 or Thursday, March 28, 2019 from 2.00 - 3.00 in the Language Learning Center, MH 443.
What will I have to do?
The intermediate level will write an essay of about two pages in the language studied on a subject given at the time. The use of dictionaries will be permitted.
The advanced level will write an essay of three to five pages in the language studied on a topic given at the time. The use of dictionaries will be permitted.
Winners will receive their prizes at the Awards Ceremony on Friday, April 26, 2019 in the Sellinger VIP Lounge of the Student Center.
- Mary Kate Elliott, Intermediate Chinese
- Annika Tolentino, Advanced Chinese
- Anna Sasson, Intermediate French
- Elizabeth Bellar, Advanced French
- Rose Maisano, Intermediate Italian
- Jack Bonner, Intermediate Spanish
- Dulce Estrada, Advanced Spanish
- Sebastian Balve, Intermediate German
- John Farrell, Intermediate Italian
- Salvatore LoPiccolo, Advanced Italian
- Alicia Rodriguez, Intermediate Spanish
- Kirsten Petrarca, Advanced Spanish
- Deborah Kim, Intermediate Arabic
- Jacqualine Asuquo, Advanced Chinese
- Emily DiNubile, Intermediate Spanish
- Victoria Sirois, Advanced Spanish
- Joey Ho, Advanced Chinese
- Timothy Spillane, Intermediate Chinese
- Olivia Earenfight, Advanced French
- Michael Di Bianca, Intermediate Italian
- Stephanie Hakeem, Intermediate Spanish
- Sydney Generoso, Advanced Spanish
- Shannon Conley, Advanced Chinese
- Thomas Antorino, Advanced Spanish
- Luke Haus, Intermediate Spanish