Professor of Psychology
Associate Dean, Loyola College of Arts and Sciences
Office: Humanities Building, Room 236B
Curriculum Vitae, 2017
- B.S. (Psychology with honors, New York State Regents Scholarship recipient), State University of New York at Oneonta
- M.A. (Clinical Psychology, United States Army Health Professions Scholarship recipient), Yeshiva University, Ferkauf Graduate School
- Psy.D. (Clinical Psychology, United States Army Health Professions Scholarship recipient), Yeshiva University, Ferkauf Graduate School
- Pre-doctoral Internship, William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Licensed Psychologist in Maryland
- Board Certified in Clinical Psychology and in Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)
My professional interests primarily involve ethics, legal and professional practice issues in psychology. These include distress, imparment and self-care, boundary issues and multiple relationships, supervision, confidentiality, informed consent and advocacy, among others. I am also interested in mentoring, professional development, business of practice, and treatment of children and adolescents, as well as the impact of technology on clinical practice.
Barnett, J. E., & Johnson, W. B. (2014). Ethics desk reference for counselors (Second Edition).
Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Barnett, J. E., Shale, A. J., Elkins, G., & Fisher, W. (2014). Complementary and alternative medicine
for psychologists: An essential resource. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Barnett, J. E., Walfish, S., & Zimmerman, J. (2014). Practical ethics for the business of private practice:
A guide for mental health practitioners. New York: Oxford University Press.
Carter, L. A., & Barnett, J. E. (2014). Self-care for clinicians in training: A guide to psychological
wellness for graduate students in psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Barnett, J. E. (2013). Sexual feelings and behaviors in the psychotherapy relationship: An ethics
perspective. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 70(2), 170-181.
Johnson, W. B., Barnett, J. E., Elman, N., Forrest, L., & Kaslow, N. J. (2012). The competent community:
Toward a radical reformulation of professional ethics. American Psychologist, 67(7), 557-569.
Barnett, J. E. (2012). Clinical writing about clients: Is informed consent sufficient? Psychotherapy, 49(1),
PY705: Ethics & Legal Issues in Psychology
PY711/PY886: Business of Practice and Entrepreneurship for Mental Health Professionals
PY800: Professional, Legal & Ethical Issues