The ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP) pairs first-year ALANA students with upper-class students to assist them in acclimating to campus life at Loyola University Maryland. The ALANA Mentors play an integral role in working with students for the first year of their college experience. Mentors will assist first-year students to gain an understanding and appreciation of the University culture, introduce them to co-curricular activities, and assist them with achieving academic and personal growth.
Please visit our AMP Events Page for past and upcoming AMP events!
Are you a first-year ALANA student and would like to request a mentor? If so, please complete the Mentee Interest Form or contact Michelle Mencia at email@example.com for more information.
The AMP Mentor Application is currently open for 2020-2021!
The application and instructions for new mentors can be found on the ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP) New Mentor Application Form.
The application and instructions for returning mentors can be found on the ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP) Returning Mentor Application Form.
Peer Mentor Coordinators (PMC) are mentors who are dedicated to helping plan events and programming for AMP. Some responsibilities include making flyers, planning events, and co-leading mentor meetings. If you are interested in applying to be a PMC, please select the option within the application form.
Applications will be due no later than Monday, February 10th, 2020 at midnight.
- A full-time undergraduate student at Loyola, both currently and for the 2019-2020 academic year (students studying abroad cannot be mentors)
- Be able to participate in mandatory trainings
- Be in good judicial and academic standing
- Be knowledgeable of campus programs, personnel, policies, and procedures
- Possess good interpersonal skills and illustrate reliability, responsibility and patience
- Be willing to serve as a positive role model and example for new students
- Commit to the mission and program objectives of the ALANA Mentoring Program
- Be a team player by working in uniformity with other mentors for duration of program
- After receiving mentee, make initial contact within the first week, and contact your mentees weekly thereafter; thus spending quality time and establishing rapport
- Attend monthly mentor meetings throughout the academic year in order to maintain consistent contact regarding progress of the mentee(s) with ALANA Services
- Participate with mentees in programs sponsored by the ALANA Mentoring Program
- Assist mentees with academic growth
- Encourage mentees to participate in cultural programs and organizations
- Provide moral support to first years in developing a positive attitude towards academic achievement and personal adjustment
- Serve as a liaison between your mentee(s) and ALANA Services
- Perform in the best interest of Loyola University Maryland, serving as a representative of the college by presenting a positive outlook of the overall program
Interested in getting involved as a Mentor? Contact Michelle Mencia at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.