The Multicultural Awareness Program (MAP) is designed to assist first-year ALANA students in acclimating to campus life at Loyola. Specific objectives of the program are academic enhancement, intercultural exploration, social adjustment and community service.
Students who participate in the Multicultural Awareness Program will:
- Become acquainted with the resources available to them at Loyola
- Have a better understanding of classroom expectations
- Meet members of their class as well as other ALANA students via team building & ropes course
- Have the opportunity to explore Baltimore (Past excursions include: The Inner Harbor, Latin Palace, Reginald Lewis Museum, Great Blacks In Wax Museum, Cultural Tour of Baltimore)
- Meet faculty and administrators
- Have a GREAT time!!!
*Thank you for your interest in the Multicultural Awareness Program (MAP). Registration for MAP 2020 is currently closed. Please be on the look out for when it becomes available! Please email ALANA@loyola.edu with any questions about MAP.
Through shared wisdom and experiences, MAP Navigators guide participants through their first days of college life.
Want to be a MAP Navigator? 2020-2021 Navigator Application are now open! Please complete the MAP Navigator Online Application by February 3rd 2020 Please email Julie Rivera at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Navigator Qualifications and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Commitment to the mission and program objectives of MAP.
- Effective communication and organizational skills including the ability to meet assigned deadlines within structured time frames.
- Ability to take initiative and be a team player.
- The desire to work with diverse groups.
- Healthy appreciation for diversity and multicultural issues.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, both currently and for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 2.5
*Unfortunately, you will not be able to serve as a Navigator if you are an RA, SGA Executive Board member, Evergreen, Campus Ministry Intern, CCSJ Intern or other Pre-Fall Leader .
- Assist with the planning of events for MAP participants.
- Participate in ALL MAP sponsored events.
- Support and encourage participants to partake in cultural programs sponsored on campus throughout the year.
- Participate as a mentor in the ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP).
- Facilitate small group discussions (training will be provided).
- Participate in mandatory training during the fall and spring semesters.
- Attend periodic meetings throughout the academic year.
- Perform in the best interest of Loyola, as a representative for the University by presenting a positive outlook and view of the overall program.