The Multicultural Awareness Program (MAP) is designed to assist first-year ALANA students in acclimating to campus life at Loyola. Specific objectives of the program are academic enhancement, intercultural exploration, social adjustment and community service.
Students who participate in the Multicultural Awareness Program will:
- Become acquainted with the resources available to them at Loyola
- Have a better understanding of classroom expectations
- Meet members of their class as well as other ALANA students via team building & ropes course
- Have the opportunity to explore Baltimore (Past excursions include: El Salvador Restaurant, Great Blacks In Wax Museum, Baltimore American Indian Center, etc.)
- Meet faculty and administrators
- Have a GREAT time!!!
*Thank you for your interest in the Multicultural Awareness Program (MAP). Registration for MAP 2021 is now closed. Please email ALANA@loyola.edu with any questions about MAP.
Through shared wisdom and experiences, MAP Navigators guide participants through their first days of college life.
Want to be a MAP Navigator? 2020-2021 Navigator Application are closed. Please email Julie Rivera at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Navigator Qualifications and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Commitment to the mission and program objectives of MAP.
- Effective communication and organizational skills including the ability to meet assigned deadlines within structured time frames.
- Ability to take initiative and be a team player.
- The desire to work with diverse groups.
- Healthy appreciation for diversity and multicultural issues.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, both currently and for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Be knowledgeable of campus programs, personnel, policies, and procedures
- Possess good interpersonal skills and illustrate reliability, responsibility &patience
- Be willing to serve as a positive role model and example for new students
- Be in good judicial and academic standing (minimum 2.5 GPA)
*Unfortunately, you will not be able to serve as a Navigator if you are an RA, SGA Executive Board member, Evergreen, Campus Ministry Intern, CCSJ Intern or other Pre-Fall Leader .
- Assist with the planning of events for MAP participants.
- Participate in ALL MAP sponsored events.
- Participate as a mentor in the ALANA Mentoring Program (AMP), including attending all meetings and training in both Spring and Fall of 2020-2021.
- Facilitate small group discussions (training will be provided).
- Participate in mandatory training during the fall and spring semesters.
- Attend periodic meetings throughout the academic year.
- Perform in the best interest of Loyola, as a representative for the University by presenting a positive outlook and view of the overall program.