CRS Student Ambassadors
The Loyola CRS Student Ambassadors are part of a network of CRS ambassador groups at colleges across the United States. We support Catholic Relief Services’ mission of service for and solidarity with those around the world who suffer injustice and affronts to human dignity, especially in the forms of poverty, hunger, and climate change. As a group, we are committed to advancing global justice and peace, inspired by faith and driven by the CRS mission.
CRS Student Ambassadors meet on a monthly basis throughout the semester to learn about, discuss, and pray about issues of global injustice, including especially poverty, hunger, and climate change. These meetings help inform our programming goals and mission as we live it out on campus.
Interested in learning more about the CRS Student Ambassadors program or joining our group? E-mail Natalie Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org or CRS_LUM@outlook.com.
CRS Mission Statement
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
- Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and
- Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world."
CRS Student Ambassadors offer the Loyola campus community the opportunity to stand in solidarity with the victims of global injustice. Past programs include events surrounding World Water Day, a prayer service for peace in Syria, and a CRS Rice Bowl Penny Drive. Annual programs include:
- Fall 2017 Meeting Dates: Join us for monthly Student Ambassador meetings to discuss, reflect, and learn about issues of global injustice and how we can engage these issues on our campus. Meetings will take place Mondays at 7:30 pm in the Campus Ministry common space unless otherwise noted. Fall meeting dates:
- September 18 (information session)
- October 16
- November 13
- December 4
- Hunger Banquet: The Oxfam America Hunger Banquet, hosted by CRS Student Ambassadors, is a memorable, interactive event that brings hunger and poverty issues to life. The Hunger Banquet offers students the opportunity to experience a simulation of hunger and disparity, and is guided with stories of poverty from around the world. Following the Banquet, students reflect on their experience in an open dialogue.
- Fair Trade Sale: Each year, CRS hosts a Fair Trade Sale during the month of December. This sale features all fair trade items, ethically produced in safe and sustainable conditions, by artisans who are fairly compensated for their work. We typically offer a wide variety of goods, including kitchen goods, home décor, scarves, and Christmas decorations, along with coffee, tea, and chocolate. Our CRS Student Ambassadors help to educate the campus community on the importance of buying fair trade goods. In the words of Pope Benedict XVI, “Every economic decision has a moral consequence” (Caritas in veritate 37).