This program offers grants of up to $1000 for affiliate faculty working under year-long contracts, and up to $500 for affiliate faculty working under other contracts, who are giving presentations at academic conferences or comparable events in the humanities. Ordinarily, the Center will fund three proposals from affiliate faculty with year-long contracts and up to two proposals from affiliate faculty with other contracts each semester.
- Any faculty member currently with a year-long contract may apply for one of these grants. Faculty currently with other contracts must have taught at Loyola for two semesters before applying.
- Faculty who are teaching in a department outside of the Humanities division of Loyola College but whose research clearly involves a discipline in the Humanities may apply. The Steering Committee, however, ordinarily will give preference to applicants teaching in the Humanities division.
- A faculty member may receive one grant in the course of the academic year.
- Faculty who expect to be paid for a conference or artistic presentation are not eligible for one of these grants.
Standards for Proposals
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
The quality of the proposal;
- The likelihood that the presentation will advance the faculty member’s research agenda;
- The accompanying letter from the applicant’s department chair.
The proposal should be for a specific dollar amount, and it should include:
The name, location, and a description of the conference or event;
- An estimated budget for attendance;
- A brief description of the faculty member’s presentation;
- A brief description of how the presentation fits into the faculty members’ research agenda;
- A copy of the faculty member’s curriculum vitae, including current employment status at Loyola University.
In addition to the above, the faculty member’s department chair should send the Steering Committee a letter , addressing the quality of the proposal and the nature of the conference or event at which the applicant will make his/her presentation as well as verifying the applicant's current employment status with Loyola University.
Proposals should be submitted electronically to email@example.com by the last working day of August for consideration at the Steering Committee’s September meeting, and by the last working day of December for consideration at the Committee’s January meeting.
The Center will reimburse the faculty member for expenses once they have been incurred; it will not advance funds for expenses yet to be incurred.