Loyola University Maryland

Counseling Center

How to Make Sure the Student is Accessing Support

Goal: To provide support and connection for the student who is dealing with the illness OR loss of a loved one.  We want to help them feel connected rather than invisible, and to experience some normalcy in dealing with their difficult situation.  We want to be intentionally supportive without being hovering.

Whenever you meet or work with a student who is dealing with the illness of a loved one or who has experienced a recent loss, please connect them with one of the following resources:  

  • Campus Ministry (ext. 2768, Cohn Hall, under the chapel) will reach out to students to offer both spiritual and personal support. A Campus Ministry staff member will try to meet with the student personally.  Every student will be invited to solicit prayers and alert the Loyola community about a death in his/her immediate family through a “We Remember” e-mail.  A Campus Ministry staff member will try to attend funeral services of student’s immediate family, if possible.
  • Academic Advising and Support Center and Class Deans (ext. 5547, Maryland Hall 145) will notify faculty and reach out to the student as appropriate. We will work to help students talk to their professors about making up missed work, and help put academic supports in place as needed.
  • Counseling Center (ext. 2273, Humanities 150) will offer personal support and help students explore all of the ways their situation might be impacting them. When we meet with the student, we will assess any other needs that s/he may be having and we will offer individual or group support (the Facing Loss group has proven to be very helpful to students) and explain how being connected to others can be an important part of functioning during difficult times.

Which of these offices you contact is an individualized decision based on with whom you think the student will most connect and be likely to develop a relationship with. These are entry points into the support network and each office will work to connect the student with other needed resources. When you call one of these offices, it would be helpful to have as many details about the situation as possible so the student does not have to cover the same ground repeatedly.

Other Offices That Might be Contacted:

Generally, contacts with the following offices will be funneled through the Academic Advising and Support, Campus Ministry, or the Counseling Center.

  1. The Office of Student Life (410-617-5081) staff can watch for warning signs of unhealthy coping strategies.  If it is requested that the information stay private, we can limit those who know to the student's RA, GRC, AD, and Director of Student Life. If possible, we would have the student's RA, under supervision, check in periodically with the student.
  2. Student Support and Wellness Promotion (410-617-2928) can be helpful when the student's use of alcohol or other substances is problematic, which can occur in the context of a grief reaction, or to help a student cope better when their loved one has been using alcohol or other drugs. SSWP also offers individual support services to students who may need assistance with navigating the complexity of college life following a loss, are contemplating a medical leave of absence, or who have returned from a medical leave of absence and require support.
  3. Office of the Vice President for Student Development (410-617-5646) or the Dean of Students (410-617-2842) will be contacted if a student needs some type of logistical support that is beyond what other offices can provide. This may include internal advocacy with other departments on campus during circumstances when having the credibility/standing of the Vice President's Office would be helpful.
  4. Student Activities (410-617-2713) will be contacted when the student involved is a student leader they work with on Student Government, Options, etc. or if the student is a commuter, as they supervise the Commuter Student Association. They will offer support and connection. The class president will send flowers and a card to any classmates who have lost a family member.
  5. Office of Student Engagement (410-617-2032) will offer support to students who they are connected to (e.g., Evergreens and other Student Leaders that we train). If the student involved is a first-year student they will notify that student’s Evergreen to follow up as well.
  6. ALANA Services (410-617-2310) should be contacted in the event that an ALANA student experiences a death or illness in his/her immediate family. ALANA Services staff may contact the student and will make the student aware of campus resources such as the Counseling Center, etc. If a relationship has been established with the student or family members, condolences will be shared.
  7. Women's Center (410-617-5884) will offer support and mentoring to students struggling with a loss and are able to assist with connecting to additional campus resources. The Sexual Violence Prevention, Education, and Response Coordinator, located within the Women's Center, is also a confidential resource for concerns related to sexual misconduct.