EcoSteps illustrates the commitment Parkhurst has made to address sustainable food service, "green" our dining operations, and expand our role as a socially responsible organization.
For example, we source more than 20% of our food locally (see below) through our FarmSource program. FarmSource is one of the most successful local food service purchasing programs in the country, connecting farmers and artisans directly with Parkhurst.
To enhance the "greening" of our dining operations, our spent fryer oil, for example, is used to help produce bio-diesel fuel rather than sending it to a rendering facility to be used for cosmetics or animal feed.
Some other practices we are proud to have accomplished are:
- Sub-Theraputic Antibiotic Free Chicken
- r-BGH Free Milk and dairy products
- Purchasing Non GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) Foods and Canola Oil
- Cage Free and Organic Shell Eggs and Liquid Eggs
- Trayless Dining to decrease food waste
- Stem to Root Cooking - Using scraps and trimmings from vegetables to make fresh stocks
- Biodegradable Service Ware
- Onsite Recycling
- Composting of Food Waste
Join us in welcoming Cupanion onto Loyola University's campus in January 2018! We have teamed up with SGA, and Sustainability department on campus to bring Cupanion on campus to help Reduce, Reuse and Refill!
What is Cupanion?
Students can download the Cupanion Rewards app and connect their reusable cup, mug, or bottle to their smartphone. Once you purchase a Cupanion tag or cup to use (available for purchase in Iggy's or Boulder 2.0), you scan your unique code each time you use your cup on campus. This keeps track of how many times you divert waste from the landfill and you collect points towards a reward. Use your cup to get a fountain drink or brewed coffee.
What is #FillItForward ?
The Fill it Forward initiative aims to partner with organizations and individuals that want to make a difference by supplying clean water to those in need. For every Cupanion product sold, they will donate the equivalent of the first fill of clean water to a person in need. With each scan you make, Cupanion matches one cup of clean water donated to our Loyola Project. Our goal at Loyola is 39,884 scans to pay for a hand dug well and rope pump for 120 people in Salima. Learn more about the initiative at cupanion.com/fif or on social media using #fillitforward
Learn more by downloading our brochure!
Parkhurst Dining at Loyola University purchases local when available. We are proud to support local companies and products.
Parkhurst's Local Partner Vendors
- Lancaster Fresh Fresh Co-Op – A Variety of Local Farms
- H&S Bakery – Baltimore, MD
- Roseda Black Angus Farm – Baltimore, MD
- Shaw Orchards – White Hall, MD
- Zeke’s Coffee – Baltimore, MD
- Thread Coffee (Only sold at Sellinger) – Baltimore, MD
- Taharka Bros Ice Cream - Baltimore, MD
- Cloverland Dairy – Baltimore, MD
- Bmore Organic Smoothies – Baltimore, MD
- Towson Hot Bagels – Towson, MD
- Wild Kombucha – Baltimore, MD
- Michele’s Granola – Timonium, MD
- Deception Salsa – Crofton, MD
- Tessemae’s Dressings – Annapolis, MD
- Coexist Cold Brew – Washington, DC
- Righteous Felon Jerky – West Chester, PA
- Amoroso Bread – Philadelphia, PA
- Jack & Jill Ice Cream Company – Moorestown, NJ