|Position and Department
Leadership Development, ALANA Services
The graduate assistants (GAs) for ALANA Services are expected to assist in the development and implementation of multicultural and diversity initiatives for ALANA Services and the Division of Student Development. There are three positions in our office: Leadership Development Graduate Assistant, Research & Retention Graduate Assistant, and Academic & Career Enrichment Graduate Assistant.
Graduate assistants employed by ALANA Services will enhance competencies in one or more of the following areas:
Student Learning and Development
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Advising and Helping
Teamwork and Collaboration
Assessment, Evaluation and Research
Professional Development and Work Ethics
The GA position will be part-time, twenty hours per week, starting the first week of August and ending the third week of May. The GA will be compensated a total of $13,500; Tuition Amount $6750 and Stipend Amount $6750. The GA will work a total of 800 hours between fall & spring semesters. The GAs will be permitted to procure additional employment with the approval of the Supervisor.
- Assist with the development of multicultural, educational programs to serve the needs of ALANA students and the university community.
- Assist the office with the fulfillment of 4 of its 5 target areas:
Campus wide events (cultural heritage celebration programs)
Educational activities (diversity workshops, Wrap Session series)
Social activities (dances and receptions)
Facilitate diversity focus groups to assess ALANA student needs, trends, and program effectiveness.
Fulfill specific duties as outlined under the GA focus areas – see below
Other duties as assigned
- Conduct him/herself with professionalism during all interactions with students, staff, and faculty of Loyola University Maryland.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of diversity and the education of Loyola students on issues of multiculturalism and awareness.
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with his/her supervisor.
- Available for night and weekend activities.
- Maintain office hours.
- Serve as a positive role model and advocate for ALANA students.
- Coordinate, evaluate and execute the ALANA Club Leaders Roundtable
- Coordinate campus-wide cultural heritage celebration programming, working with two designated ALANA organizations/celebrations on programming
- Have monthly one on one meetings with the president of these ALANA organization
- Meet with the executive boards as necessary
- Meet with a representative of the executive boards in advance of their heritage celebration time period
- Ensure completion of program evaluations
- Coordinate, evaluate and execute the ALANA Leadership Retreat with assistance of the Assistant Director of ALANA Services
- Work with the Research & Retention GA and the Academic & Career Enrichment GA to coordinate and execute International Festival and "A Night of Stars"
- Actively participate in the execution of the Multicultural Awareness Program (pre-orientation program) e.g. interviewing prospective Navigators, providing feedback about the program, being present during the entire program including the Navigator Training
- Serve as a liaison between ALANA & specified student organizations and/or College departments
- Participate in weekly ALANA staff meetings and supervision meetings
- Partner with the Research & Retention GA and the Academic & Career Enrichment GA on marketing communications (e.g. ALANA Anthem Newsletter, etc.)
- Maintain records/files in an organized manner
- Attend and assist with ALANA sponsored events, including those on nights and weekends
- Chaperone on-campus ALANA Club weekend parties and events as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Create Roundtable topics, select presenters, facilitate and evaluate the program each month
- Have monthly one on one meetings with the president of designated ALANA organization & attend club meetings
- Meet with the executive boards as necessary
- Meet with a representative of the executive boards 3-5 months in advance of their heritage celebration time period
- Keep an accurate account of organizations’ programs (including evaluations)
- Coordinate office attendance at student organization programs
- Maintain office calendar based on student organizations events
- Maintain the website and make sure it is up-to-date
- Work with other ALANA GAs to ensure accuracy of calendar
Your application should include a cover letter, resume, and a list of references. Complete applications should be emailed to
Julie Rivera, MSW, Assistant Director, ALANA Services
Graduate Assistant Employment Application