Recreation & Wellness — A vital part of the student experience, the Department of Recreation and Wellness is built on programming excellence, a nationally recognized facility and a student development model that honors and educates the whole person. Graduate Assistants are an integral part of the RecWell team. As a GA in our department, you can expect to learn and grow in a supportive environment; be treated with respect, fairness and honesty; and be well equipped for personal and professional challenges in your chosen career path.
Graduate Assistant — Fitness and Wellness
|Hours and Wages
- $13,000 for 620 hours (310 hours per semester; approximately 20 hours per week)
- Compensation can be given at 50% scholarship/50% stipend or 60% scholarship/40% stipend
- Ability to develop student staff, including hiring, training, supervising and evaluation
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to all patrons and guests
- Ability to work closely with fellow team members and campus colleagues
- Demonstrates strong inter-personal and communication skills as well as attention to detail
- Ability to problem solve, manage multiple tasks and priorities and make an informed decision independently
- Reliability and flexibility related to work schedule
- Maintain a positive attitude for all patrons and Recreational Sports staff.
- Positively promote Recreational Sports to peers and patrons and takes initiative to be involved throughout campus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills and the ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Assist in the development of campus-wide Wellness Programming and evaluations.
- Serve as co-chair for Fitness and Wellness Committees (ex. Exercise is Medicine) with campus partners and departments.
- Assist in tracking data and informational research for wellness programming and classes.
- Create, manage and oversee the departments wellness initiative website.
- Help find and create relationships with community and campus partners who could provide resources pertaining to our Wellness Wheel.
- Represent the department at various orientations and information fairs.
- Assist with hiring, training, supervising and evaluating Fitness Attendant employees.
- Manage and execute staff requests and information including: GroupMe, Fusion and Sitecore.
- Oversight and administration of cleaning assignments, equipment maintenance and job duties.
- Assist with Fusion check out numbers and statistics.
- Assist with member questions, spotting and overall functioning of the Fitness Center.
- Check WhentoWork, the department student employee scheduling software, daily to ensure weekly schedule is correct while maintaining staff communication.
- GAs will be required to complete several two three-hour shifts as a Building Supervisor each week (These hours will contribute to their 20 hour requirement).
| Transferable Skills
- Effective Communication
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Ability to plan and organize
- Enhanced diversity and inclusivity
- Civic responsibility
- Effective leadership
- Change management
- Employee supervision and development
- Facility and program management
For more information and to apply, contact Jay Venit, Assistant Director of Operations and Aquatics.
Graduate Assistant Employment Application