Loyola University Maryland

International Programs


Can I apply to study abroad even if I don’t have a 2.750 GPA (Cumulative GPA)?

Yes, you are encouraged to apply even if you do not have a 2.750 CQPA at the time of application. We can only consider applications that we receive by 11:59 p.m. on November 29th (Wednesday after Thanksgiving break).

Will my fall semester grades be used in my GPA evaluation?

Yes. We look at the CQPA from both semesters of freshman year along with the fall semester of sophomore year.

If I am not sure that I want to study abroad. What should I do?

We recommend that you submit an application for study abroad, even if you have not finalized your plans. Students will not be considered for study abroad if they have not applied by 11:59 p.m. on November 29th.

Am I guaranteed to go abroad if I have a 2.750 GPA?

Meeting the GPA for study abroad does not guarantee that a student will be admitted. You must review the program’s GPA requirements. Loyola has a minimum requirement of 2.750 to consider your application, but many of our programs send students to foreign universities where they require a higher GPA. Also, acceptance to certain programs will depend on the number of applications that we receive. Disciplinary records of applicants and the potential courses students can take abroad will also play an important role in your potential acceptance into a program.

What happens if I can’t submit my application by 11:59 p.m. on November 29th?

 Late applications will not be considered.

What if I don’t get into any of my three choices?

If we are not able to offer you acceptance into any of your top three programs, we will allow you to be reconsidered for another available program. If nothing is available, then you will not be able to study abroad. 

Does my financial aid transfer when I go abroad?

Loyola institutional financial aid can be used for all Loyola programs and Loyola exchanges. Loyola institutional financial aid cannot be used for Florence, or any other affiliation, summer program or non-Loyola program. Students who benefit from the Yellow Ribbon/post 9-11 GI Bill should contact the office of financial aid or the records office to see if they can use that program's benefits to study abroad. 

What happens to my federal work-study when I go abroad?

Federal work-study cannot be used outside of the United States. Also, students going abroad for only a single semester forfeit their work-study for the entire academic year (fall and spring). For more information contact the office of financial aid. 

When will I hear back?

Our office reviews applications in early January. We usually contact students regarding their status by the third week of January. 

Can I study abroad if I have a disciplinary history?

We review each student on a case-by-case basis. Serious offenses, being on a status, or a history of disciplinary problems usually results in prohibiting a student from going abroad. 

What should I do now?

You need to attend information sessions offered by the Office of International Programs. You should also apply for a passport. Finally, do some research on the countries that you are interested in living in. You should know about current events, the recent history, the people, and the culture of the country where you hope to live.