Loyola University Maryland

International Programs

Health Insurance Abroad

image divider

Insurance Options

SOS International


The SOS Scholastic Traveler Membership: The SOS Scholastic Programs are available to international students or scholars who are engaged in full-time educational activities outside their home country. Non-students are eligible to purchase SOS Global Traveler and Expatriate programs.

An Assistance Membership includes:

  • Medical Assistance
  • Personal Assistance
  • SOS Clinics Travel Assistance
  • Online Services & Information
  • Travel Safety Assistance

Cultural Insurance Services International


Basic Plan Coverages:

  • Medical Expense
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment
  • Medical Evauation/Repatriation/Return of Mortal Remains
  • Team Assist



With HTH Worldwide, students pursue their global travels secure in the knowledge that they can access quality medical care when and where they need it. Our global health plans are comprehensive, competitively priced, and come with critically important health information and medical assistance services.



 iNext offers a complete network of travel insurance coverage provided through one of the world's leading travel insurance and emergency assistance plan providers. Supplemental and Comprehensive travel coverage are available to both individuals and groups traveling outside of the United States.

Insurance and Student Safety Abroad

Your child’s health and safety are of the highest concern to us. We require that all students remain covered under their domestic health insurance policies during their time abroad, and can provide us with proof of overseas coverage. Some domestic insurance policies do not extend overseas, so it is important that you check with your insurance provider to see whether or not your child will be covered outside of the U.S. If your child is not covered outside of the country under their current policy, we require that you purchase additional travel health insurance to help cover them while abroad.

We also highly recommend that at least one parent has a valid passport in the case that there is an emergency and they have to travel abroad.

For certain programs, Loyola will purchase a local healthcare policy for students in addition to their domestic policy, to comply with local standards. Students participating in Loyola Programs and Loyola Exchanges (as opposed to Loyola affiliations and non-Loyola programs) will also receive emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance through Chartis. In addition to emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance and local policies (when applicable), parents and students can consider additional Security Evacuation coverage through companies such as CISI- Cultural Insurance Services International (http://culturalinsurance.com) or iNext Security Evacuation (http://www.inext.com). When using U.S. health care policies abroad, parents and students should expect to pay for medical services up front, and then receive reimbursement from their insurance provider. Please note that the emergency insurance provided through Chartis will only cover emergency assistance and medical evacuation/repatriation, it will not cover theft or loss of valuables. As a general rule, we recommend that students leave their valuables at home, but for some students, valuables may be covered under their parents’ homeowner’s insurance. Others may be covered through a local policy sponsored by Loyola. Students should find out whether they will be covered for theft or loss of valuables through a domestic or local insurance policy before traveling.

All students traveling with a Loyola Program, Exchange, or Affiliation will have close access to medical facilities while abroad. For students taking prescription medications, we recommend bringing a full term’s supply with them to avoid potential complications in having prescriptions filled overseas. Students traveling with prescription medications will need to carry a photocopy of their prescription in case it is needed. Students suffering from a recurrent or ongoing medical condition should make sure to pack a complete medical record to share with health officials abroad. Please inform the study abroad office if your student needs special accommodations, or must consult a specialist abroad. We need time to work out special arrangements, and in some cases, we will need to determine whether a student’s health needs can be adequately met at their program of choice.