IgnatianQ is a student-run and student-focused Ignatian LGBTQIA+ conference. IgnatianQ brings together the community of LGBTQIA+ folks (and allies) at Jesuit universities from across the U.S. We are an affirming community, brought together in part by our common experiences of marginalization and exclusion. As LGBTQIA+ people, we believe that our own desire for social justice and the Jesuit values that inform our education are forces that can and should work together for a more just and humane world. As we explore the intersections of sexuality, gender, and spirituality together, we strive to educate and empower the whole person.
The location of the 2020 IgnatianQ conference will be announced soon.
During the conference, we will honor the legacy of the past six conferences and seek to incorporate past conference themes of acknowledgement (2014), contemplation (2015), celebration (2016), community (2017), holistic care (2018), and magis (2019). We also wish to build on these themes and look to the future as we focus on practicing activism in our community.
Apply to join the 2020 Loyola Delegation
Each year, Loyola is able to fund 5-10 LGBTQPIA+ students and allies to attend this powerful annual conference. Conference costs, travel, lodging, and food are graciously covered by a variety of campus partners and offices committed to the support and development of Loyola's LGBTQPIA+ community. Thank you to our growing list of sponsors for this year, including: Campus Ministry, the Counseling Center, Student Life, and the Office of the Vice President for Student Development.
Due to limited available spots for participants, every participant goes through an application and interview process. All confirmed attendees will be required to do the following:
- Attend two, 2-hour group formation meetings prior to the conference.
- Attend the conference.
- Bring learning from the conference back to the university in some form (details will be provided).
- Attend a one-hour debrief meeting following the conference.
The 2020 application is not yet open.
You will be contacted shortly after you complete the application for an interview. If you have any questions, e-mail email@example.com or reach out to Aaron Barnes - firstname.lastname@example.org, Tim Cherney - email@example.com or Sean Bray - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations for the 2020 Delegation
Nominations for the 2020 Delegation will open in January 2020.
Loyola Delegation Advisors
- Aaron Barnes - Coordinator of LGBTQ+ Services and Public Health - Counseling Center
- Tim Cherney - Associate Director for Inclusion & Community Development - Student Life
Past IgnatianQ Themes and Hosts
- 2019 - College of the Holy Cross - Magis: Translating Resilience into Activism
- 2018 - Loyola University Maryland - Cura Personalis: Resilience in Our Wholeness
- 2017 - Santa Clara University - Finding Q-munity
- 2016 - Seattle University - Celebrating Identities: Queer Solidarity at Jesuit Schools
- 2015 - Georgetown University - Forming Contemplative Communities to Ignite Action
- 2014 - Fordham University - Finding God in the LGBTQ & Ally Jesuit Student Community
For more information or questions, please contact IgnatianQ@loyola.edu.