IgnatianQ is a student-run and student-focused Ignatian LGBTQIA+ conference. IgnatianQ brings together the community of LGBTQIA+ folks (and allies) at Jesuit universities from across the U.S. We are an affirming community, brought together in part by our common experiences of marginalization and exclusion. As LGBTQIA+ people, we believe that our own desire for social justice and the Jesuit values that inform our education are forces that can and should work together for a more just and humane world. As we explore the intersections of sexuality, gender, and spirituality together, we strive to educate and empower the whole person.
Loyola student delegations have been attending IgnatianQ since 2015 and we were honored to host the conference in 2018.
This year's conference is being hosted by Regis University in Denver, Colorado on March 20-22, 2020 under the theme: "At the Crossroads: Staying the Course for a Love that is Whole." Regis has identified four pillars as the foundation of this year's conference:
- A Love that is Whole
- Change making
- Institutional Discernment
Each year, Loyola is able to fund 5-10 LGBTQPIA+ students and allies to attend this powerful annual conference. Conference costs, travel, lodging, and food are graciously covered by a variety of campus partners and offices committed to the support and development of Loyola's LGBTQPIA+ community. Thank you to our growing list of sponsors for this year, including: Campus Ministry, the Counseling Center, Student Life, the Office of the Vice President for Student Development, The Women's Center, Student Health and Education Services, Center for Community Service and Justice, The Jesuit Community, Messina, Recreation and Wellness, Student Activities, and Student Engagement
Any Loyola student who is interested in exploring sexuality, gender, and Jesuit values is encouraged to apply. You do NOT need to identify with any specific faith background, gender identity, or sexual identity to be considered for the delegation.
Due to limited available spots for participants, every participant goes through an application and interview process. All confirmed attendees will be required to do the following:
- Attend two, 2-hour group formation meetings prior to the conference.
- Attend the conference.
- Bring learning from the conference back to the university in some form (details will be provided).
- Attend a one-hour debrief meeting following the conference.
Apply Now! Priority deadline is February 10, 2020
You will be contacted shortly after you complete the application for an interview. If you have any questions, e-mail LGBTQservices@loyola.edu or reach out to Tim Cherney - firstname.lastname@example.org or Emily Kane - email@example.com.
Loyola Delegation Advisors
Are you a Loyola faculty, staff, or administrator that is interested in volunteering as an 2020 IgnatianQ delegation advisor? E-mail Tim Cherney - firstname.lastname@example.org in order to complete an application by January 31, 2020.
Past IgnatianQ Themes and Hosts
- 2019 - College of the Holy Cross - Magis: Translating Resilience into Activism
- 2018 - Loyola University Maryland - Cura Personalis: Resilience in Our Wholeness
- 2017 - Santa Clara University - Finding Q-munity
- 2016 - Seattle University - Celebrating Identities: Queer Solidarity at Jesuit Schools
- 2015 - Georgetown University - Forming Contemplative Communities to Ignite Action
- 2014 - Fordham University - Finding God in the LGBTQ & Ally Jesuit Student Community
For more information or questions, please contact LGBTQservices@loyola.edu.