Messina is seeking 1-2 faculty members and/or Messina mentors to assist with the development of the 2021 study guide, essay and creative expression contest, facilitator guide and campus programming for the 2021-2022 Common Text, The Master Plan: My Journey from Life in Prison to a Life of Purpose. The one to two people selected to assist with this project will work in conjunction with the Messina Co-Director to prepare materials and presentations in advance of summer orientation and Fall Welcome Weekend.
The associated tasks and timeline for completion are included below. The successful candidate will have research or teaching experience with the topics discussed in The Master Plan, including mass incarceration, racial justice, generational trauma, and social entrepreneurship. In particular, we are looking for member of our academic community who can offer students, faculty and colleagues guidance both in reading and teaching The Master Plan. Messina will offer a $1000 stipend for one person (or $500 if the work is divided by two people) as compensation for this project.
Please e-mail Michael Puma at email@example.com no later than Wednesday, May 26, 2021 to express interest in the project.
Task Date/Timeline Notes
- Meet with Messina Co-Directors in Early June
- By June 21, 2021 - Develop Study Guide for First-Year Students
- By July 26, 2021 - Develop Facilitation Guide for Messina Faculty and Administrators. Offer themes, conversations starters and resources.
- August 13-30, 2021 - Review and Evaluate Common Text Essay and Creative Expression Contest Entries - We typically receive between 40-70 entries. Additional volunteers will assist with the essay contest (you will not need to read all the essays)
- August TBD - Facilitate discussion and introduce Facilitation Guide at August Messina Meeting and Student Leader Workshop
- Fall Welcome Weekend - Participate in Common Text Panel. Panel participants will meet at least once in mid-August to prepare presentation.
- Family Weekend (morning) - Offer a session during Messina Family Teach-In (Session may run two times).
- Participate in Common Text Event Series TBD - This is an opportunity to host a speaker or event of interest to you.