Messina is seeking 1-2 faculty members and/or Messina mentors to assist with the development of the 2019 study guide, essay contest, facilitator guide and campus programming for the 2019 Common Text, Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth. The one to two people selected to assist with this project will work in conjunction with the Messina Co-Directors to prepare materials and presentations in advance of summer orientation and Fall Welcome Weekend.
The associated tasks and timeline for completion are included below. The successful candidate will have research or teaching experience with the topics discussed in Heartland, including the economic justice, rural poverty, postindustrial America, and the intersections of race, class and gender issues. In particular, we are looking for member of our academic community who can offer students, faculty and colleagues guidance both in reading and teaching Heartland. Messina will offer a $1000 stipend for one person (or $500 if the work is divided by two people) as compensation for this project.
Please e-mail Michael Puma at email@example.com no later than Friday, May 3, 2019 to express interest in the project.
Task Date/Timeline Notes
- Meet with Messina Co-Directors Early May
- Wednesday, May 22 12:30pm-2:00pm - Introduce Common Text at May Messina Luncheon
- By June 10, 2019 - Develop Study Guide for First-Year Students. Ideally, this paper handout should fit on one-two pages back and forth (Additional links and resources can be added to website version)
- By August 12, 2019 - Develop Facilitation Guide for Messina Faculty and Administrators. Offer themes, conversations starters and resources.
- August 13-27, 2019 - Review and Evaluate Common Text Essay Contest Entries - We typically receive between 50-70 entries. Additional volunteers will assist with the essay contest (you will not need to read all the essays)
- August 26 & 27, 2019 - Facilitate discussion and introduce Facilitation Guide at August Messina Meeting and Student Leader Training
- August 30, 2019 - Participate in Common Text Panel. Morning Panel participants will meet at least once in mid-August to prepare presentation.
- September 28, 2019 (morning) - Offer a session during Messina Family Teach-In (Session may run two times).
- Participate in Common Text Event Series TBD - This is an opportunity to host a speaker or event of interest to you.