Messina is seeking 1-2 faculty members and/or Messina mentors to assist with the development of the 2023 study guide, essay and creative expression contest, facilitator guide and campus programming for the 2023-2024 Common Text, What the Eyes Don't See. The one to two people selected to assist with this project will work in conjunction with the Messina Faculty Director to prepare materials and presentations in advance of summer orientation and Fall Welcome Weekend.
The associated tasks and timeline for completion are included below. The successful candidate will have research or teaching experience with the topics discussed in What The Eyes Don't See, including environmental justice, politics, ethical leadership, systemic racism, and community organizing. In particular, we are looking for member of our academic community who can offer students, faculty and other colleagues guidance both in reading and teaching What the Eyes Don't See. Messina will offer a $1000 stipend for one person (or $500 if the work is divided by two people) as compensation for this project.
Please e-mail Michael Puma at email@example.com no later than Thursday, May 11, 2023, to express interest in being a Common Text Fellow.
Task Date/Timeline Notes
- Meet with Messina Director in Late May
- By June 19, 2023 - Develop Study Guide and Essay and Creative Expression Contest prompts for first-year students.
- By July 24, 2023 - Develop Facilitation Guide for Messina Faculty and Administrators. Offer themes, conversations starters and resources.
- August 9-21, 2023 - Review and Evaluate Common Text Essay and Creative Expression Contest Entries - We typically receive between 40-70 entries. Additional volunteers will assist with the essay contest (you will not need to read all the essays)
- August 29, 2023 - Facilitate discussion and introduce Facilitation Guide at August Messina Meeting and Student Leader Workshop
- Fall Welcome Weekend - Participate in Common Text Panel. Panel participants will meet at least once in mid-August to prepare presentation.
- Family Weekend (morning) - Offer a session during Messina Family Teach-In
- Participate in Common Text Event Series TBD - This is an opportunity to host a speaker or event of interest to you.