Four $1000 grants are available to Messina faculty pairs for the 2019-2020 academic year. The purpose of the grants is to foster integrated planning and teaching that also focuses on the assigned Messina theme. If a Messina Mentor is integral to the integrated planning, the faculty pair may ask for $1500.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
All faculty teaching in Messina during the 2019-2020 academic year are encouraged to apply. Only one application per faculty pairing is required.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit all of the following documents:
- A cover page indicating how long each instructor has taught in Messina, each instructor’s academic discipline, and whether this is a new pairing or if the instructors have been paired in previous years.
- A clear and concise (no more than 2 pages) statement of what will be the purpose of the collaboration, e.g. to facilitate student engagement, to help students appreciate how the two respective disciplines can complement one another and promote a richer understanding of the relevant Messina theme, to show students that scholarship is often an interdisciplinary endeavour.
- A clear and concise action-plan detailing how the collaboration will take place, e.g. weekly planning meetings, a longer planning meeting before the start of the semester with periodic check-ins.
- A brief statement of how the recipients intend to assess the effectiveness of the collaboration and course integration. This statement should address how the collaboration and integration directly supports one or more of the Messina Learning Outcomes.
- A CV for each instructor.
Documentation of faculty collaboration and course integration will occur in two phases.
Phase I (January deadline)
Recipients of these grants will be expected to submit the following items:
- Course syllabi for both semesters
- Instructional resources used in the collaboration and course integration. This may include some of the following items: Common texts or readings; Student assignments including directions and samples of student work for fall semester
- Brief description of any trips or excursions
- In addition, grant recipients are expected to lead a discussion on faculty collaboration and course integration at a bagel breakfast at some point during the academic year
Phase II (August deadline)
- Instructors will submit a brief self-assessment of how successful the collaboration was for course integration. The self-assessment is meant to complement the requirements for the faculty annual update.
Deadline for Applications and How to Submit Applications
Applications must be received no later than September 13, 2019; successful applicants will be notified no later than September 27, 2019. All materials should be Word documents. Applications should be submitted as an email attachment sent to Messina@loyola.edu.
Prospective applicant should contact Jim Snow with any questions or concerns.