Terrence M. Sawyer, J.D. chosen as the 25th president of Loyola University Maryland
The Loyola University Maryland Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Terrence M. Sawyer, J.D., as the institution’s 25th president. Sawyer, currently Loyola’s senior vice president, was chosen after a national search following the June 2021 retirement of the Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., who led the University for 16 years. Sawyer will begin as president on Jan. 1, 2022.
"This is our time."
Loyola's incoming president, Terry Sawyer, J.D., addresses the University community at the Introduction of the 25th President of Loyola University Maryland.
James Forbes, ’80, chair of Loyola’s Board of Trustees“Terry values Jesuit, liberal arts education, knows Loyola’s strengths and challenges, and has a compelling, foundational vision for defining and shaping Loyola in the years ahead.”
Loyola’s Incoming President Terry Sawyer shares his gratitude and excitement
About the Presidential Search
The new president was selected through an inclusive, thorough, national, and confidential search process led by a diverse, representative search committee.
- February 11, 2021 Loyola’s 24th president, the Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., announces his plans to retire.
- February 19, 2021 James Forbes, ’80, chair, Board of Trustees, names Trustee Gerry Holthaus,’71, as search committee chair.
- March 11, 2021 The presidential search committee is formed.
- March 29, 2021 Isaacson, Miller, one of the country’s premier executive search firms, is selected to assist with the search.
- Late April–May Isaacson, Miller leads several listening sessions with constituents from across the Loyola community.
- June–July 2021 Isaacson, Miller shares the position profile and reaches out to potential candidates in its network.
- August–Early September 2021 Candidates are interviewed by search committee; finalists are recommended to the Board of Trustees for consideration.
- Mid-September–Early October Board of Trustees committee performs final interviews of candidates recommended by the search committee.
- October 19, 2021 Board of Trustees elects Loyola’s 25th president.
Isaacson, Miller, one of the country’s premier executive search firms, assisted in the search. The firm is known for its ability to identify and recruit executive-level leaders with exceptional talent and diverse backgrounds. The firm has also conducted numerous successful presidential searches for Jesuit universities.
“The choice of a university president requires careful consideration, research, and discernment, and Loyola is fortunate to be concluding the search by selecting an individual who understands Loyola’s past, recognizes the challenges and opportunities of Loyola’s present, and has the innovative vision and collaborative spirit to guide Loyola into the future.”
—James Forbes, ’80, chair of Loyola’s Board of Trustees
Building on a Legacy
During the 16 years of his presidency, our President Emeritus, Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., led Loyola to new heights. Celebrate Fr. Linnane and learn about the most recent chapter of Loyola’s history.