Winter Break: Puerto Rico Stand Up Paddleboarding
Come join us for OAE's first winter break trip!
Facilitated by OAE leaders and an administrator, you will get the opportunity to connect with your peers in a unique expedition setting, gain skills paddleboarding and beach camping, and connect with the local culture and communities. This 7 day, 6 night trip will take you paddling to remote island beaches, hiking through rain forest and cloud forest, exploring a world renowned bioluminescent bay, and experiencing historic old San Juan.
- Fly from Baltimore into San Juan. From here our group will head towards the beautiful island of Vieques.
- We will spend a few days on the island of Vieques learning a progression of stand up paddleboarding and beach camping skills. While on Vieques, we will explore the many cays and their crystal blue water, getting a chance to practice surfing some waves. We will also get to paddle on of the world's brightest bioluminescent bays.
- From Vieques, we will head back toward mainland to meet up with a local community organization to learn about the culture and communities of Puerto Rico.
- We will continue into explore the largest rain forest in Puerto Rico, El Yunque. Hiking well into the cloud forest, we will get to look out through the clouds and monkey-fern trees to the ocean we just paddled.
- Before flying home to Baltimore, the group will spend the last morning exploring colorful Old San Juan. This historic part of the city, called by locals one of the happiest places on earth, is filled with culture, good food, and rich Puerto Rican history.
The total trip cost of OAE Winter Break 2020 is $900 and includes air and ground transportation, food, lodging, instruction, equipment and all other associated costs. A non-refundable deposit of $300 will be due upon registration. The remaining $600 will be due either in full, or an optional incremental schedule prior to November 20th.
The registration link will be open starting October 1st at 9am. There will be 10 open spots, and waiting list.
Come to Basecamp or reach out to us at OAE@loyola.edu or 410-617-5437 with questions or to sign up!