The Atlas position began as a small group of student leaders who volunteered to guide students through the topics of vocational discernment on RoadTrip, Loyola’s annual sophomore retreat. As discernment services expanded across class years, there became a need for student leaders trained to accompany others through uncertainties toward their truest most fulfilling way of living. Atlases are not expected to possess the answers to life’s questions, but they should be committed to the process of genuine seeking sources of joy, uncovering gifts and talents, and examining ways to serve the world, both for themselves and with others.
Atlas leaders serve as facilitators and mentors in a wide range of programs which help others discern their priorities, values, passions, and talents. Ultimately, these initiatives allow students to gain greater understanding of who they are and their unique role in the world. Among such opportunities are two signature programs: Pathfinders and RoadTrip. Those selected for the Atlas position will be tasked with leading one of these two opportunities.
For more details, please review the full Atlas Job Description.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to serve as an Atlas:
- Be a junior or a senior in good standing at Loyola University Maryland
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Be available for weekly trainings on Fridays from 2:00-4:00 pm in the Fall semester
- Possess a passion for and introductory knowledge of psychological, educational, or spiritual habits of intentional living
- Value diversity of thought and experience; and understand the role identities play in shaping individual journeys toward authenticity and purpose
- Exhibit foundational understanding of helping skills
**Participation in Pathfinders or RoadTrip during the sophomore year is preferable but not required to becoming an Atlas.**
- February 11, 2019: Atlas Application available
- March 1, 2019: (5:00 p.m., EST): Application due
- March 11, 2019: Reference Forms are due (2 references are required)
- March 11-15: Interviews with Assistant Director and Graduate Assistant for Class Year & Discernment Programs
- March 20, 2019: Decisions will be available
- April 5, 2019: Atlas Welcome (Tentative)
Should you have any questions, please contact Ashley Schantz, Assistant Director for Student Engagement, at email@example.com.