We are pleased to inform you that the student health insurance plan for the 2019-2020 academic year is being underwritten by United Healthcare Insurance Company. Here is a brief overview of the plan benefits offered by United Healthcare Insurance Company.
* *Please Note: Open enrollment for Spring 2020 will be available on December 3, 2019. Information regarding how to enroll/waive, will be sent to the students via their Loyola email. Postcards will also be sent to the home address. Additional information regarding the Loyola University Maryland sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2019-2020 term can be found on www.firststudent.com.
Domestic and International Undergraduate Students
In an effort to ensure students’ physical and financial health, Loyola University Maryland requires all full-time undergraduate students to have health insurance during the 2019-20 academic year. You are required to either enroll online in the Loyola-sponsored Student Health Insurance plan, or submit an online request to waive coverage. To waive coverage, please review your current plan to be sure that you have comparable coverage based on Loyola’s waiver criteria.
Waiver criteria – You will be asked these five questions when you go online to waive Loyola’s Student Health Insurance coverage. All answers must be yes or your request to waive will be denied.
- My plan is provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- My plan is currently active and I agree to maintain health insurance coverage throughout the entire 2019/2020 academic year.
- My plan covers inpatient and outpatient medical care in Maryland.
- My plan covers inpatient and outpatient mental health and alcohol abuse in Maryland.
- My plan provides coverage for prescription drugs in Maryland.
Be certain that your plan benefits extend to the state of Maryland. If you are from out-of-state, we strongly recommend that you check with your insurance provider to assure continued health insurance coverage while at Loyola University Maryland, specifically for diagnostic testing (lab work and x-rays) and referrals to specialists. Some HMOs offer guest membership plans which provide healthcare benefits to continue at the same level when away from home. Please contact your HMO insurance provider to find out if this option is available. There is usually no additional charge for this type of program.
To enroll in or waive coverage, visit www.firststudent.com.
**The deadline date is January 28, 2020**
The Undergraduate Spring rate for the 2019-20 Loyola-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan:
Spring: $1,550 (for the period 01/01/20 - 8/14/2020) - Spring enrollment is for new students only.
For assistance or questions with online enrollment or the waiver process, please contact Paige Fritze at 800-346-4075 extension 1607 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We expect that you will have a healthy year, but we strongly recommend that you make an informed decision about your health insurance coverage while you are a student at Loyola University.
**If you do not take action by January 28, 2020, you will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan and the charge will not be refunded.