Loyola University Maryland

Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies and Class Deans

Questions About Courses

Majors Offered at Loyola University Maryland

For more information about the various majors, minors, and concentrations offered at Loyola, please visit the majors page at the University's academics website.

Courses Taken at Another Institution

All transfer courses require the prior written permission of both the chair of the department awarding the credit and AASC. Only courses at accredited institutions will be accepted.

Except for courses taken as part of the Baltimore Student Exchange Program or other approved international programs, a letter grade of C or higher must be obtained for any course transferred to Loyola University Maryland; only the credits are transferred. Courses with a grade of below a C do not transfer and do not count in the regular Loyola QPA. However, in determining honors at graduation, the cumulative average is computed on the basis of all courses taken at all colleges. No higher honors will be awarded than those earned with grades that appear on the Loyola transcript for courses completed at Loyola through Loyola-sponsored programs.

Students who have been placed on disciplinary suspension by the University will not be granted transfer credit for courses taken at other institutions during the suspension period.

Taking a Sixth Course

Students may only register for five courses (excluding military science and one- and two-credit courses) via WebAdvisor or paper submission during the official registration period. To take a sixth course, the student must be granted permission from their advisor through an electronic form before they register. First-year students are permitted to request a sixth course only for the second semester if they earn a QPA of 3.000 or above for five three- or four-credit courses during their first semester. Upperclassmen must be in good academic standing (having a QPA of 2.000 or above) to request a sixth course. Approval of the request is subject to the successful completion of all the course's prerequisites and to the course's availability.

Withdrawing from a Course

A student may withdraw from a course upon the advice and approval of the instructor of the course, the faculty advisor, and/or a member of the Academic Advising and Support Center. During the first four days of the semester, the student may withdraw from a course without receiving a grade of W. The student will receive a grade of W if s/he withdraws from the course no later than four full weeks (20 class days) before the end of a semester. After that time, students are not allowed to withdraw from any courses. Intercollegiate athletes must obtain the signature of the academic coordinator for varsity athletics. Failure to comply with the official withdrawal procedure will result in a permanent grade of F or AW (audit withdrawal).

Withdrawal Refund Policies

For information about Loyola's tuition refund policy, please visit the withdrawal page on the records department website.

For information about Loyola's federal financial aid refund policy, please visit the FFA refund page on the financial aid office website.

Residency Requirement

Students must satisfactorily complete at least 20 three- or four-credit courses at Loyola University Maryland. Of those courses, 15 must be taken at Loyola. Additionally, five of the last seven courses and at least one-half of the courses in the student's major and minor fields of study must also be taken at Loyola. Credit awarded on the basis of any placement tests does not count toward fulfillment of the residency requirement. Approved courses taken in the University's own study abroad programs, exchange programs, or affiliations apply toward the residency requirement. Study abroad courses sponsored by non-Loyola programs do not count toward residency.

We are a green office logo