Loyola University Maryland

Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies

General FAQs on Admission, Courses


Advanced Placement Tests

Advanced Placement Examinations are given in May by the College Entrance Examination Board. These tests are scored during the summer and will be sent to the University at the student's request. For complete details on the Advanced Placement Exams, please contact

College Entrance Examination Board
P.O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671

Students who have taken an advanced placement course in high school may obtain college credit at Loyola if their performance on the exam is satisfactory. Credit, but no grade, is normally awarded and recorded on the student's transcript for a score of 4 or 5, depending upon departmental policy. The Academic and Advising Support Center (AASC) will work with students who receive advanced placement credits to make any changes necessary to their programs of study. The maximum amount of credit awarded on the basis of all placement tests is equivalent to one academic year of credit. Credit awarded on the basis of placement tests does not count toward the fulfillment of residency requirements.

Courses Taken at Other Colleges or Universities

All transfer courses require the prior written permission of both the chair of the department awarding the credit and AASC. Only courses at accredited institutions will be accepted.

Transferring to Loyola University Maryland

Applications for transfer from other accredited two- or four-year institutions are always welcome. Due to the University's undergraduate residency requirement, students may not transfer to Loyola after the beginning of junior year. Upon admission to Loyola, transfer students will be awarded credit for courses comparable to those offered at Loyola. (Department chairs will determine course comparability.)

For more information, please visit the transfer students page on the admission website.

Readmission of Former Students

Students who miss three semesters (including summer) without filing a request for a leave of absence are automatically withdrawn from the University and must reapply. This policy also applies to students who study abroad and do not take an official leave of absence from the University.

Leave of Absence

Students may apply for a leave of absence for medical or personal reasons or to study abroad. However, the leave of absence can last for no more than two semesters. If the student takes a leave of absence while on academic or disciplinary probation, s/he must complete the terms of her/his probation upon returning to Loyola. Students who are subject to full dismissal from the University for academic or disciplinary reasons are not eligible for a leave of absence.

To apply for a leave of absence, the student must mail or fax a letter with their signature to the office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, requesting the leave of absence. The letter must state whether the leave is personal or medical.

A medical leave of absence will be granted when the attending physician provides the University with documentation recommending a leave. This documentation must be received within 30 days after the student or parent notifies Loyola of the need for a medical leave of absence. A review of the student's financial obligations to the University will take place once the medical leave of absence is approved and the medical documentation is received. If the medical documentation is not received by the University within the 30-day period, the student or parent forfeits the right to a tuition refund.

Students applying for a leave must complete the Leave of Absence Form, which can be obtained by contacting the office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. They must then consult the financial aid office to determine what effect this leave may have on their financial aid. Usually, students on a leave of absence from the University will not receive transfer credit for courses taken at another institution during the period of the leave. However, prior written permission may be obtained from the Academic Advising and Support Center for any exceptions to this policy.

Upon completion of the leave, students may return to Loyola University Maryland under the academic requirements in effect at the time of the departure without completing the regular admission process. Students on an approved leave of absence who do not return at the conclusion of that leave and who do not request an extension of the leave in writing from the Dean of Undergraduate Studies will be withdrawn completely from the University at the conclusion of the first formal add/drop period, which is typically the first week of classes of a semester.

To return to the University after a medical leave of absence, the student must provide documentation from their attending physician to the office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies stating that the student is approved for a return to the University.

Attendance Policy

The university educational experience is comprised of more than just private reading and the passing of exams and tests. Mature and motivated students recognize that active and informed participation in class discussions is essential to the development of their intellectual abilities and their scholarly growth. Accordingly, the University expects its students to accept their responsibility to attend class regularly. The attendance requirements and the grading system for each course are explained by the professor of the course at the start of each term. Students are expected to be on time for all classes and must take semester exams at the regularly scheduled time.

If, for reasons of health or other emergency, a student knows that s/he will be absent from her/his classes for several days, the student should inform the Academic Advising and Support Center by telephone at 410-617-5050. AASC will then notify the student's instructors. Only instructors can excuse student absences from their classes.

Students who are absent from a semester exam for a serious reason may be permitted to take a deferred exam if they validate their absence to the satisfaction of the instructor. Students who are absent from a deferred exam will automatically receive a grade of 0 (zero) for the exam.


Majors Offered at Loyola University Maryland

For more information about the various majors, minors, and concentrations offered at Loyola, please visit the majors page at the University's academics website.

Courses Taken at Another Institution

All transfer courses require the prior written permission of both the chair of the department awarding the credit and AASC. Only courses at accredited institutions will be accepted. Except for courses taken as part of the Baltimore Student Exchange Program or other approved international programs, a letter grade of C or higher must be obtained for any course transferred to Loyola University Maryland; only the credits are transferred. Courses with a grade of below a C do not transfer and do not count in the regular Loyola QPA. However, in determining honors at graduation, the cumulative average is computed on the basis of all courses taken at all colleges. No higher honors will be awarded than those earned with grades that appear on the Loyola transcript for courses completed at Loyola through Loyola-sponsored programs. Students who have been placed on disciplinary suspension by the University will not be granted transfer credit for courses taken at other institutions during the suspension period.

Taking a Sixth Course

Students may only register for five courses (excluding military science and one- and two-credit courses) via WebAdvisor or paper submission during the official registration period. To take a sixth course, the student must fill out a Sixth Course Form and have their advisor sign it; the form must then be submitted after the initial registration period for the coming semester. First-year students are permitted to request a sixth course only for the second semester if they earn a QPA of 3.000 or above for five three- or four-credit courses during their first semester. Upperclassmen must be in good academic standing (having a QPA of 2.000 or above) to request a sixth course. Approval of the request is subject to the successful completion of all the course's prerequisites and to the course's availability.

Withdrawing from a Course

A student may withdraw from a course upon the advice and approval of the instructor of the course, the faculty advisor, and/or a member of the Academic Advising and Support Center. During the first four days of the semester, the student may withdraw from a course without receiving a grade of W. The student will receive a grade of W if s/he withdraws from the course no later than four full weeks (20 class days) before the end of a semester. After that time, students are not allowed to withdraw from any courses. Intercollegiate athletes must obtain the signature of the academic coordinator for varsity athletics. Failure to comply with the official withdrawal procedure will result in a permanent grade of F or AW (audit withdrawal).

Withdrawal Refund Policies

For information about Loyola's tuition refund policy, please visit the withdrawal page on the records department website.

For information about Loyola's federal financial aid refund policy, please visit the FFA refund page on the financial aid office website.

We are a green office logo