Full Micro-credential Offerings
Full Micro-credentials are online, asynchronous stand-alone opportunities for learning and growth in a specific topic. These facilitated courses are designed to be self-paced and each one can be completed in approximately 15 hours. Full Micro-credentials may be taken in any order, but the progression of Full Micro-credential 1 to Full Micro-credential 4 is a suggested progression for educators to dive more deeply into the content, utilizing knowledge from their teaching and previous professional learning and allows for the greatest learning and classroom impact. It is suggested for educators to only register for one micro-credential at a time.
Each micro-credential is worth one Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credit!
Current Full Micro-credentials
Micro-credential 1: Choosing & Using Tech Tools for Higher Level Learning
Discover different technology tools and their use in the classroom to support higher level learning. There are many technology tools available for the Four Cs (Critical Thinking, Communication, Collaboration, and Creativity), but choosing and using the most effective tool to redefine your classroom and engage students in higher level learning can be challenging. Utilizing the well-known SAMR model, this micro-credential provides you with the skills to critique, analyze, connect, and apply technology tools to your classroom focusing on higher level learning.
Micro-credential 2: Project-Based Learning
Gain the knowledge, theory, and foundational skills needed to design, create, and apply project-based learning experiences in your classroom. Project-based learning involves more than just a creation assignment at the end of a unit. Incorporating student-centered learning and real-world application of the content through critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity will lead to deeper learning and higher student engagement. In this micro-credential, you will develop an authentic project-based learning experience for your classroom.
Micro-credential 3: Designing Your Curriculum for Personalized Learning
Designing personalized learning goes beyond selecting technology tools, incorporating student-centered, real-world applications, and implementing the Four Cs (critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity). Personalized learning includes many aspects of adapting the instructional environment such as what, when, where, and how students learn and designing your curriculum, as well as choosing technology, to fit those needs. In this micro-credential, you will develop the foundation and skills to apply instructional design models and select appropriate technology as you create personalized learning units that span your curriculum.
Micro-credential 4: Leading Technology Professional Development
Develop the knowledge and skills to create and lead technology professional development to support improved student learning. Engaging adult learners in a technology professional development session goes beyond the basic skills of knowing the tech tool and creating a presentation. Theoretical and practical approaches to leadership and adult learning theory as well as online and face-to-face staff development techniques will be the focus in this micro-credential as you create a technology-related professional development learning opportunity.
2019-2020 Full Micro-credentials Start, End, & Enrollment Dates
October 28, 2019 - December 1, 2019
Enrollment ends November 11
March 2, 2020 - April 17, 2020
Enrollment ends March 16
July 6 - August 14
Enrollment ends July 20
Micro-credentials are fully online and asynchronous, so there are no meetings/classes you must attend.
Each Full Micro-credential is $150. This payment includes all materials and registration fees.
Full Micro-credentials must be paid in full at the time of registration.
Register for Micro-credentials for Professional Learning
Refunds and withdrawal requests must be submitted in writing to email@example.com. Requests received by 5 p.m. on the Friday before the start of the session will receive a 100% refund. All requests received after the Friday before the start of the session will be ineligible for a refund.
Benefits of Full Micro-credentials
- Work in small groups that are facilitated by expert educators supported by Loyola University Maryland.
- Start and end dates provide the deadlines needed to successfully complete the work.
- Work with our expert facilitators who will review all work and assignments, ensuring that achieving a micro-credential certificate represents a meaningful early step on the path to accomplished teaching.
- Each micro-credential has been approved by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) for one Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credit. At the successful completion of the micro-credentials, each participant will receive a MSDE CPD Completion for Credit form for recertification.
- Receive a Continuing Education Certificate (CEU) recognized by Loyola University Maryland for 1.5 CEUs after completing the work at a proficient level. (Please note: CEU’s are evidence of Professional Study approved by Loyola University Maryland and are not equivalent to graduate or undergraduate credit. Individual jurisdictions and organizations have different regulations for accepting CEU credit. Please contact your jurisdiction or organization for further information on the acceptance and use of CEU credit.)