Urban Teacher Cohort
This program is designed to prepare exceptionally qualified teachers who are responsive to the educational needs of diverse learners in urban settings.
NEW! Scholarship Opportunities for applicants
Within the MAT program candidates can concentrate in Elementary or Secondary Education; each of these concentrations offer disciplinary specialty areas in PK-12
- MAT, Elementary (grades 1-6)
- MAT, Secondary (grades 7-12 or PK-12)
Certification Areas and Program Prerequisites
Please visit the Master of Arts in Teaching, Elementary page for program prerequisites.
Secondary Education (Grades 7-12 or PK-12)
Please visit the Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary for program prerequisites and full listing of certification areas.
This is a full time cohort program. Courses will meet in the late afternoon and early evening to balance various schedules. Students will take a minimum of six credits every semester. Following this schedule, you will complete the program in approximately 2 years.
Unique Program Features
- High quality of teacher preparation
- Strong field experiences in urban school setting
- Courses focused in urban education pedagogy
This program includes two 20-hour field placement designed to provide the student with exposure to school classroom operations prior to the internship.
- Internship I is one day or two half days a week for a semester after initial consecutive full time orientation days.
- Internship II consists of teaching five school days a week for the semester. Students take an Internship II Seminar.