A limited amount of funds are available to students who wish to supplement their academic programs by attending educational conferences, workshops, and other similar educational programs. These conferences or workshops need not be directly related to the student's academic major but must provide a valuable educational experience that the student will share with at least some of the College commune of students upon return. This to say that the experience must benefit the student attending the program as well as other students at Loyola University Maryland.
Criteria for funding consideration: Students wishing to apply for funds to attend conferences or workshops must meet certain criteria to qualify for funding consideration by the Committee.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled full-time at Loyola University Maryland. Limited funding is also available for graduate students enrolled at the university.
- Conferences, workshops or other educational programs must reflect the values inherent in the mission of Loyola University Maryland.
- Students must seek funds from other sources and are expected to cover some of the cost themselves. For example, students should apply for funds from sponsoring department at the University and the Student Government Association, as well as other pertinent sources. In no case will the Education for Life Committee serve as the sole funding source.
- The program must take place within the current fiscal/academic year.
Application guidelines: Student must submit, in writing, at least six weeks prior to the scheduled event, the following:
- a description of the event they plan to attend, including itinerary with dates
- a detailed budget (including an indication of which costs are estimates)
- the names of other funding sources and amounts of funding secured from them
- a statement of expected benefits of the event to the student
- a statement of how the university community will share in the student's educational experience upon the student's return to campus.
All applications should be electronically forwarded to Mark Lee, Director of Technology and Graduate Student Services, MSLee@loyola.edu, x2353 and Krysten Fertonardo, Program Assistant, Student Development at firstname.lastname@example.org, x5171.
The Committee meets approximately every two weeks while classes are in session. Applicants are welcome to contact Krysten Fertonardo at x5171 about any procedural matters. Students will be notified promptly following the Committee's decision on the application.