Liberal arts majors have a plethora of careers at their disposal. The best way to launch a job search is to first narrow down the industry you prefer. Here are several resources to assist you:
- What Can I Do With a Major In...
- Explore the O*Net's career cluster and click on "Find Occupation" and then "Career Cluser." Once at the site, select the career cluster (industries) that interest you to learn about different careers.
- Learn what industries are hiring at the following sites:
Another great way to conduct a job search is to target companies that appeal to you. These companies can be selected based on industry, location, size, types of positions, etc. The key is to know how to find listings of companies. For resources to conduct organizational targeting for your job search, see below:
- Hounds4Hire Employer Search: Access 4500+ companies on the Loyola Career Center's eRecruiting website, including links to company websites, contact names and information, and job postings.
- CareerSearch: Locate companies by industry and location. CareerSearch is also accessible through Hounds4Hire (contact The Career Center for the client referral code).
- Hoovers.com: Research company profiles by location or industry. Also available through Hounds4Hire.
- Book of Lists: Locate top companies in the Baltimore metropolitan area. Visit The Career Center to view the print copy or login to Inside Loyola to view electronic copies.
- VAULT Career Insider: Access company and industry information by logging into VAULT and selecting the "Company" tab. Accessible only through Hound4Hire.
Professional associations are a great way to learn about an industry and current job opportunities. Locate professional associations in various careers by accessing the following resources:
- CareerSearch: Take the following steps:
- Step 1: Create an account (The Career Center can provide the client referral code.)
- Step 2: Log in and select Business Information Resources.
- Step 3: Locate professional associations using the "Associations" drop down box.
- Career Guide to Industries: Go to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and take the following steps:
- Step 1: Click "A-Z index".
- Step 2: Use the index on the left column or the alphabetical listing to locate your field.
- Step 3: Click on any field that pertains to you and then scroll down to "Sources of Additional Information".
Visit the liberal studies department website.