Skip to main content


FAQ about Mold, Dust & Mildew 

What is mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that is commonly found both indoors and outdoors. To grow, mold needs a source of moisture. Leaks, high humidity, and flooding can lead to the conditions necessary for mold growth. More information about mold can be found on the CDC website.

What are the symptoms of exposure to mold?

Mold exposure effects people in different ways. People with allergies and who are have immunodeficiency may have more adverse reactions. Possible symptoms to mold exposure include stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. More information about exposure to mold and the effects on people can be found on the CDC website.

How can I differentiate between mold, mildew, and dust?

Mold is a fungus that grows in moist areas. Mold has a distinctly unpleasant, musty smell like rotten wood, wet socks, or soggy paper.

Mildew refers to a certain type of mold and is often used to refer to mold growth. Mildew often lives on shower stalls, windowsills, and other places where moisture levels are high.

Dust is dry and has a earthy smell since dust typically consists of dirt, pollen, and soot brought in from outside as well as hair, pet hair, clothing/carpeting lint.

What does the facilities team do to manage humidity and moisture that can contribute to microbial growth?

The University has several preventative measures in place to manage the opportunity for mold to grow.

  1. Facilities replaces filters in HVAC and AC units three times a year.
  2. Visual inspections of ducts are completed three times a year.
  3. Mold-resistant paint is used when repainting.
  4. Facilities responds to any work requests promptly to inspect and rectify any issues.
  5. Protocols are in place when mold is encountered in a room or apartment.
What should I do to help prevent microbial growth in my room or apartment?
  • Leaks that are not addressed quickly can lead to mold growth in a room or building so it’s important to report leaks to facilities as soon as possible.
  • Keep your windows closed, especially on hot and humid days.
  • Please keep books, bedding, and furniture away from heating and cooling units. This will ensure that air circulates throughout the entire room.
  • Minimize dust by using dusters like a Swiffer, which trap particles instead of just pushing them around.
  • If you observe condensation on your heating/cooling unit, wipe it off and raise the temperature setting to a higher temperature to reduce the buildup of condensation.
  • Use bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans when the rooms are in use.
  • Hang towels and wet clothes properly to dry.
What do I do if I suspect mold or mildew in my room or apartment?

If you have an active leak or believe you have mold or mildew in your living space, please take these steps:

  • Email, call 410-617-2200, or submit a facilities service request.
  • Contact Student Health Services at 410-617-5055 if you have active symptoms of a respiratory infection.
Does the University test for mold in campus buildings?

Tests are conducted periodically to manage the University’s response to concerns around the presence of mold growth in buildings on campus. The University uses a certified environmental laboratory to conduct mold testing in residence halls.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not generally recommend routine sampling. Because individuals' susceptibility can vary greatly, sampling and culturing cannot always accurately determine potential health risk. Standards for what is or is not an acceptable or tolerable quantity have not been established.

Due to the variation in effects that exposure to mold can have on individuals, there is a lack of government regulations regarding the presence or control of indoor microbial growth. Preventing active growth is an important step in preventing potential problems.

Should I do my own testing for mold?

The CDC does not recommend mold testing. More information about testing for mold can be found on the CDC website.

If you suspect microbial growth, the best course of action is to submit a work request, which can be found on Loyola’s facilities website. A facilities professional will inspect the space to identify any visual growth or sources of water that should not be present.

Appropriate remediation, cleaning, and sanitation will be completed as needed.

Urgent Request

If you have an urgent request that requires immediate attention (e.g. fire, flooding, power outages, hazardous or safety issues, etc.) please call:

Facilities at 410-617-2200 (between 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.) 
Campus Police at 410-617-5911 (between 4 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.)