We live in a world, where identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, asexual, pansexual or questioning is often responded to with anger, fear, silence and sometimes even violence. Because of this climate, it is critical for LGBTQPIA+ individuals to have safer spaces to seek support, understanding, and full access to campus services without fear of marginalization.
A SafeZone at Loyola sticker helps community members identify "safe" and "brave" spaces where they can freely share aspects of their sexual and gender identities.
By displaying a SafeZone sticker, you are committing to creating a safer place for the discussion of gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans & gender non-conforming, queer, pansexual, intersex, asexual, and questioning related issues and a space where an LGBTQPIA+ individual can be assured that the Loyola community member they are speaking with has made a commitment to better understanding the unique ways that LGBTQPIA+ community members navigate our campus community and systems.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I will thoroughly and continually evaluate my personal beliefs and educate myself on LGBTQPIA+ related issues in order to ensure that I am creating a safer space.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I will create a non-judgmental, open-minded, hate-free environment where it is safer to discuss issues surrounding sexual and gender identity.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I will challenge language and behavior that is contrary to providing a safe environment both in and out of my personal space.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I understand that I may be questioned as to why I am committed to being a member. I will use these questions as an opportunity to educate others about the unique experiences of LGBTQPIA+ community members at Loyola.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I will become familiar with issues, current events, and resources affecting the LGBTQPIA+ community.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I will remove my sign, if for any reason I begin to question my ability to be a member and provide a safe, knowledgeable, and affirming space.
- As a member of the SafeZone network, I agree to uphold the integrity of Loyola's network. For instance, I will not share my sticker or electronic logo with anyone regardless of whether they have participated in Safe Zone training at another college or university; I will not display the logo in a way that suggests an entire office/department is Safe Zone trained if that is not the case; etc.
- As a member of the SafeZone Network, I understand that my name and contact information (as listed on this form) will be published in various media and available to those who request it.
Current Members of the Loyola SafeZone Network
Loyola College of Arts and Sciences
- Carolyn Barry, Associate Dean for Social Sciences and Graduate Programs & Professor of Psychology – Loyola College of Arts and Sciences
- Bernadette Roche, Associate Professor - Biology
- Lisa Scheifele, Associate Professor & Chair - Biology
- Brian Barr, Associate Professor of Chemistry –Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Paola Pascual-Ferra, Associate Professor - Communication
- Natka Bianchini, Associate Professor for Visual and Performing Arts – Fine Arts
- Sophia Bell, Program Assistant – Fine Arts
- Barnaby Nygren, Associate Professor & Chair – Fine Arts
- Sarah Tyler, Lecturer – Modern Languages and Literature
- Frank Cunningham, Associate Professor Emeritus – Philosophy
- Marianna Carlucci, Associate Professor – Psychology
- Darlene Jolly, Program Assistant – Psychology
- Jason Prenoveau, Professor - Psychology
- Elizabeth Stover, Field Education Program Assistant – Psychology
- Isabel Stevenson, Administrative Assistant – Sociology
- Amanda Konradi, Associate Professor, Director of Gender and Sexuality Studies Minor – Sociology
- Lisa Zimmerelli, Associate Professor/Director of Writing Center - Writing
- Martin Camper, Associate Professor – Writing
- Marian Crotty, Assistant Professor – Writing
- Terre Ryan, Associate Professor - Writing
School of Education
- David Marcovitz, Associate Dean and Professor – School of Education
- Greta Brueck, Associate Director for Undergraduate & Graduate Programs – School of Education
- Heather Moore, Assistant Dean - School of Education
Sellinger School of Business
Academic Resources & Support
Mary Beth Mudric, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Studies – Academic Affairs
- Mike Puma, Director - Messina
- Molly Fredette, Director – The Study
- Blake Lubinski, Assistant Director of Tutor Programs – The Study
- Tracy Frey, Assistant Vice President for Effectiveness & Academic Assessment – Academic Affairs
Raven Williams, Director – ALANA Services
- Jason Parcover, Assistant Vice President for Student Wellbeing – Counseling Center
- Jen Stevens, Associate Director – Counseling Center
- Kourtney Bennett, Assistant Director for Training – Counseling Center
- Latisha Burns, Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness – Recreation and Wellness
- Marlena Waugh, Assistant Director/Senior Clinician – Student Health Services
- Sara Scalzo, Director – Student Engagement
- Becca Winkler, Associate Director for Student Organizations – Student Engagement
- Garry Schmitt, Assistant Director for Housing Operations – Student Life
- Evan Huckfeldt, Associate Director for Housing Operations – Student Life
- Brooke Herold, Program Assistant – Student Life
Rizzo Career Center
Christina Spearman, Vice President for Career Development
- Tim Cherney, Director of Career Readiness
Mission Integration, Campus Ministry and Center for Community Service & Justice
Seán Bray, Interim Vice President for Mission
- Pat Cassidy, Associate Director for Programs - CCSJ
- Marie McSweeney Anderson, Assistant Director for York Road Initiative - CCSJ
- Emily Kane, Assistant Director for Social Justice – Campus Ministry
- George Miller, Associate Director
Sexual Violence Prevention, Education, & Response
David Tiscione, Director and ADA 504 Coordinator – Title IX, Compliance, and Assessment
- Melissa Lees, Director & Sexual Violence Prevention, Education, and Response Coordinator – Women’s Center
Jocelyn Kelley, Associate Director – Public Safety
- Ronald Vince, Campus Dispatcher III – Public Safety
- Patrick Weber, Support Operations Officer – Public Safety
Admissions & Financial Aid
Brian Gallagher, Assistant Dean of Graduate Enrollment – Office of Graduate Admission
- Andrew Cevasco, Director – Office of Undergraduate Admission
- Patricia Bryan, Assistant Director for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – Office of Undergraduate Admission
- Rachel Scholten, Director of International Admission – Office of Undergraduate Admission
Kate Grubb Clark, Director – External Affairs (Government & Community Relations)
- Samantha Cosenzo, Staff - Event Services & Auxiliary Management
Is your name missing or has your information changed? E-mail email@example.com. You’ll receive an updated Safe Zone Agreement to complete.