The National Fellowships office of Loyola University Maryland is pleased to announce a gift from Larry E. Jennings Jr. and Katherine Jennings to fund student travel abroad in the summer of 2020. In making this donation, the Jennings Family have joined their commitment to the challenges and opportunities in developing countries with their belief that study, research, and service abroad is a primary factor in how students will engage the world after they graduate.
Eligible students may apply for full funding (program cost, air transportation, other fees and expenses) to participate in their choice program that has established a partnership with a developing country. The students are required to attend an information session and bring their choice program for the attention and approval of the coordinator of Jennings fellowships, Dr. Maiju Lehmijoki Wetzel (email@example.com). Please email Dr. Wetzel to receive your copy of the Intent to Apply form.
Information sessions (all sessions are 30 minutes and in Donnelly Science 142):
Monday, December 2, 2019 -- 12 p.m.
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 -- 12:30 p.m.
Friday, December 6, 2019 -- 3:15 p.m.
Intent Deadline: Monday, January 20, 2020 by 9 a.m.
Application Deadline: Monday, February 10, 2020 by 9 a.m.
- Be a sophomore or junior from any major
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Have attended Loyola full time for at least two semesters
- One letter of recommendation from a Loyola professor
- Will return to Loyola in the fall of 2020
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Participants must present their research in Loyola’s Undergraduate Research Colloquium in the Spring of 2021.
Preference is given to students with ONE or more of the following:
- Have overcome socioeconomic or educational disadvantages or disabilities;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to the advancement of groups historically underrepresented at the University including African-Americans, Native Americans or Hispanics;
- Are the first generation in their family to attend college;
- Have demonstrated high to moderate financial need;
- Have not previously had a study or travel abroad experience;
- Are interested in traveling to a developing country;
- Are completing a major in the School of Education;
- Compete in varsity athletics
Student participants in the program will have a number of responsibilities before, during, and after their time abroad:
- Present a study abroad based research project at Loyola’s Undergraduate Research Colloquium in the spring of 2021;
- Publish a blog of their experience and reflections while abroad;
- Participate in various events sponsored by the International Programs Office and the National Fellowships Office; and
- Sign a letter of agreement and submit it to the National Fellowships office
Deadline: Monday, February 10, 2020 by 9 a.m. (please note that your application must be preceded by an Intent to Apply)