Office: Humanities Center 050O
Please visit my Personal Website for more information
- B.A. – Yale University (Psychology/Philosophy), 1976
- Ph.D. - Philosophy, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1987.
- M.D. -Yale University School of Medicine, 1986.
- PL 216 Asian Thought (Philosophies of Hinduism and Buddhism)
- PL 201 Foundations of Philosophy
- HN 280 Honors - Modern World
- PL 398 Philosophy of Film
- PL 354 East Asian Philosophy (Taoism)
- PL 314 Environmental Ethics
- PL 324 Philosophy of Service (I have a special interest in service-learning teaching)
- The Healing Body: Creative Responses to Illness, Aging, and Affliction, Northwestern University Press, 2023.
- The Distressed Body: Rethinking Illness, Imprisonment, and Healing, University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Sparks of the Divine: Finding Inspiration in Our Everyday World, Sorin Books/Ave Maria Press, 2004.
- The Soul Knows No Bars: Inmates Reflect on Life, Death and Hope (with inmate co-authors, foreword by Cornel West) Rowman and Littlefield, 2000, paperback, 2001.
- Games for the Soul: 40 Playful Ways to Find Fun and Fulfillment in a Stressful World, Hyperion, 1998. Translated into Chinese.
- Spiritual Passages: Embracing Life's Sacred Journey, Tarcher/Putnam, 1997.
- The Body in Medical Thought and Practice, editor, Kluwer Academic Press, 1992.
- The Absent Body, University of Chicago Press, 1990.
Areas of Specialization
- Cross-cultural Spirituality
- Philosophy of the Body
- Philosophy of Medicine
- Asian Philosophy
- Continental Philosophy