Intensive Treatment for Aphasia Program (ITAP)
2020 In-Person Sessions Canceled
All in-person sessions for the summer 2020 ITAP program have been canceled. Read the notification letter to ITAP candidates for details and information on alternative telepractice options.
ITAP is an intensive treatment program for adults with aphasia. Graduate students in speech-language pathology work with clients to increase overall communication abilities and life participation through 1:1 and group treatment sessions for a full 6-hour day, several days per week, for several weeks. Following individualized pre-assessment, a task-specific approach is employed; student clinicians work with clients to help them choose their own goals. Goals are targeted through traditional therapeutic approaches, as well as by activities that encourage carry-over of communication skills in the community. Clients use cutting-edge technology to maximize communication skills, and receive follow-up recommendations to promote continued improvement. Education sessions for clients and communication partners are provided by professionals from the community on a variety of topics of interest to people with aphasia.
Who is this program for?
Any adult with aphasia—an acquired language disorder that impairs the ability to speak and/or understand others, that may also impair reading and/or writing abilities.
- Summer session only
- 1:1 clinician/client ratio
- Use of current technology to maximize communication skills: software and applications
- Post-assessment and follow-up recommendations
- Client and family education
- $800 for full program; or
- $20 per group session for "ITAP-GO" option (GO= "Groups Only" or no individual treatment sessions/not "full program")
- Based upon individual financial status
- Evaluation dates: May 19 & 21
- Session dates: Tuesdays and Thursdays, May 26-June11
- Evaluation dates: June 16 & 18
- Session dates: Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 23-July 16 (No sessions June 30 or July 2)
Learn more and register by calling 410-617-1200. Questions? Contact Theresa Alexander, email@example.com or Cynthia Nichols, firstname.lastname@example.org.