Intensive Treatment for Aphasia Program (ITAP)
ITAP is an intensive treatment program for adults with aphasia. Graduate students in speech-language pathology work with clients to increase overall communication abilities and life participation through 1:1 and group treatment sessions for a full 6-hour day, several days per week for several weeks. Following individualized pre-assessment, a task-specific approach is employed; student clinicians work with clients to help them choose their own goals. Goals are targeted through traditional therapeutic approaches, as well as by activities that encourage carry-over of communication skills in the community. Clients use cutting-edge technology to maximize communication skills, and receive follow-up recommendations to promote continued improvement. Education sessions for clients and communication partners are provided by professionals from the community on a variety of topics of interest to people with aphasia.
Who is this program for?
Any adult with aphasia—an acquired language disorder that impairs the ability to speak and/or understand others, that may also impair reading and/or writing abilities.
- Summer session only
- Baltimore area—specific dates/schedule to follow
- 1:1 clinician/client ratio
- Use of current technology to maximize communication skills: Software and applications
- Post-assessment and follow-up recommendations
- Client and family education
- Belvedere: Testing dates: May 21, 23; Program dates: Tuesday and Thursday May 28, 30; June 4, 6; and June 11, 13
- Columbia: Testing dates: June 18, 20; Program dates: Tuesday and Thursday June 25, 27; July 9, 11; July 16, 18; NO ITAP week of July 1
- Based upon individual financial status
Learn more and register by calling 410-617-1200. Questions? Contact Theresa Alexander, firstname.lastname@example.org or Cynthia Nichols, email@example.com.