Welcome, Modern Language and Literature students!
The LLC resources and friendly staff are here to help you make the most of your modern language and literature studies at Loyola. The services offered by the Language Learning Center are available to all Loyola students studying a foreign language, or interested in engaging with world languages, literatures, and culture. We strive to be the “home base” for students engaged in modern language studies at Loyola. At the LLC, you can interact regularly with other language students and instructors and feel part of a close-knit community of learners.
Use the LLC as an individual or group study space. Snacks and study supplies are offered in the collaboration lab during our study hours from 5-7pm Monday-Thursday, but the cozy atmosphere of the Modern Language Reading Room (MH 442) also serves as an ideal place for quiet study all day.
Drop-in tutoring hours sponsored by The Study for students studying French and Spanish. Check out the LLC calendar for the dates and times that drop-in tutoring is available.
While you are visiting the LLC, check out a foreign-language film from our media collection, which boasts over 1300 titles. Watch a film for class (or for fun!) on our large-screen TVs in the Video Viewing Rooms or on one of the 30 individual student media stations in the lab, or watch international channels on Loyola Xfinity On Campus.
Keep an eye on the LLC calendar to stay up-to-date on the many events we host. From club meetings to film screenings, and even talks given by faculty members, there is always something interesting going on at the LLC for language students to attend.
- Collaboration Lab: This newly renovated space holds 20 computers equipped with headphones, webcams, Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Skype, and Audacity. Use this space to collaborate on group projects, to complete modern language course assignments of voice recordings with our software, or to screen foreign films from our collection.
- Reading Room: This small space is located across the hall from the main LLC lab. It holds books, magazines, and even a collection of board games from around the world. Use this comfortable space to read, get work done, or simply to take a study break.
- Video Viewing Rooms: The LLC contains two video viewing rooms, each with space to hold up to 20 students. These spaces are used for film screenings, presentations, and small meetings or events.
- LLC Staff Space: This space houses the foreign media collection. It is also where you can find the LLC lab assistants if you have any questions or requests.
Typical Student Activities at the LLC
- Watch foreign films for class (or for fun!) on our large-screen TVs in the Video Viewing Rooms or on one of the 30 individual student media stations in the computer lab.
- Complete online homework or write papers for upper-level courses. All computers have the U.S. international keyboard installed, as well as various other foreign keyboards such as Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese.
- Record your voice (for oral projects or internet-based homework assignments such as MyLab and En Vivo) in the computer lab or the private Video Editing Room (MH 446) equipped with microphone, headphones, and speakers.
- Use our video editing software such as iMovie and iDVD for multimedia class projects.
- Do class reading or group projects in the cozy and quiet atmosphere of the Modern Language Reading Room (MH 442).
- Enjoy our selection of international periodicals, magazines, and foreign language board games provided in the Reading Room for in-house use.
For information about study abroad, visit International Programs (for information about Loyola programs and partnerships) or National Fellowships (for information about scholarships available to students and graduates who want to study abroad).
The LLC accepts applications for student employees each academic year. To learn more, come visit us or email us at email@example.com.
The LLC is not a designated station for public printing. However, the following nearby locations are designated for public printing:
- Knott Hall Breezeway
- Knott Hall 3rd Floor Hallway
- Donnelly Science Basement
- Donnelly Science 3rd Floor Hallway
- Student Center Near Bank of America ATM
- Computer Labs
- Knott Hall 002
- Knott Hall 318
- Maryland Hall 240
- Maryland Hall 443
- Beatty Hall 115
- Beatty Hall 221
- Donnelly Science 121
- Donnelly Science 151-b
- Donnelly Science 257
- Sellinger 1st Floor Atrium
- Jenkins Hall 300
- The Study
Proctored Placement Tests
If you would like more information about the proctored placement tests offered by the Language Learning Center, please visit this page: Proctored Placement Test.