Study abroad is a wonderful way to enrich and diversify your education. It may also stimulate new career ideas and be viewed as a valuable asset in today’s increasingly global economy. As you progress through your international experience, be receptive to these emerging ideas about jobs and possible career paths. The Career Center is here to assist you with this process of exploration.
There are a number of things you can do before leaving for study abroad to prepare for your job and internship search. Here are some proactive steps you can take:
- Attend Career Center Workshops - Come join The Career Center to learn about Hounds4Hire as well as our other online resources, in addition to completing a workshop on resume writing. Or attend “Wings and Workshops” to complete all three required workshops in one sitting. See upcoming Career Center events.
- Make an appointment with a Career Advisor - Discuss preparation for the working world before you leave to alleviate stress over the job and internship search process when you return.
- Prepare a resume and have it critiqued - After you return, update your resume so that it adequately describes your experience abroad and the skills you acquired, including language competency.
- Visit the Career Resource Library - Explore career resources about the city in which you will be studying such as the ‘Going Global’ series (also available through HireLOYOLA) in the library’s international section.
- Network - You might be able to speak with other students, faculty, and alumni who have studied or lived in the area.
Keep in mind that The Career Center is here to serve you. Our career advisors are always available to assist you. Please feel free to contact us any time during your study abroad experience.