Loyola’s dental school applicants will receive a pre-health committee interview during final exam week in April/May. The pre-health committee reads your dossier and offers you a thirty-minute interview.
The interview and evaluation of your entire dossier helps you to assess your readiness to apply to dental schools and to provide you with the critically important committee letter. This offers a comprehensive assessment of your applicant profile and helps your application stand out in the complex and competitive dental school admissions process.
Pre-Health Committee Members 2020–2021
Brian Barr, Ph.D., Chemistry, Co-Chair
Maiju Lehmijoki Wetzel, Ph.D., B.S.N., R.N., Pre-Health / Theology, Co-Chair
Andrew Futterman, Ph.D., Psychology
Randall Jones, Ph.D., Physics
Christopher Thompson, Ph.D., Biology
Ethan Duckworth, Ph.D., Mathematics & Statistics
Pre-Health Committee Time Line 2020–2021
Mandatory Committee Process Deadlines
For all meeting room locations, please contact Dr. Maiju Lehmijoki Wetzel.
Sunday, November 29 (6-7pm)
Mandatory Information Session and Application Opening
Intent to Apply Due
Tuesday, February 2
Committee Interview Application and Reference Information Due by 5pm
Tuesday, February 9
Committee Mentor Names Released to the Students over Email
Tuesday, March 23
Committee Interview Materials and Reference Writers’ Recommendations Due by 5pm
Reference writers’ letter submission over email: email@example.com or drop-off in Maryland Hall 145
Friday, May 5 – Friday, May 13
Monday, September 28 (6-7pm)
Junior and senior info night (all health professions)
Tuesday, February 2 (7-8:30pm)
Application Workshop I - Personal statement, school selection, and communicating with recommenders
Wednesday, February 17 (7–8:30pm)
Application Workshop II - Personal statement, CV/resume, committee interview tips
Sunday, May 2 (6–7:30pm)
Application Workshop III (AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS process)
The pre-health committee assesses your application strength based on the following criteria:
- Overall academic preparedness
o Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Grade trends
- Course selections
- Honors and awards
- Participation in special academic programs (if applicable)
- Recommendation writers’ evaluations
- Natural sciences and mathematics preparedness
- Biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics GPA, grade trends
- Grade trends
- Course selections
- Recommendation writers’ evaluation
- Depth of your experiences as seen in the curriculum vitae
and personal statement
- Community volunteering and extracurricular activities
- Health care experiences, including shadowing, volunteering, internships, and research
- Leadership, including tutoring and mentoring
- Varsity athletics
- Relevant certifications and training, including EMT, the CNA, and tutor certifications
- Demonstration of social responsibility and personal integrity
- Mature understanding of the profession and yourself as seen in the personal statement and interview
- Demonstration of social responsibility
- Capacity to engage in conversations concerning dentistry, bioethics, and health care as seen the interview answers
- Capacity to constructively overcome challenges and hardships
The committee does NOT use your DAT score as one of its evaluation criteria.
You will receive feedback and suggestions within few days of your interview. If the committee advises you to wait with your application, you are encouraged to return for a new interview during the upcoming years.
Pre-Health Committee Contact Information
Applicants: The deadline for committee interview applications is February 2. For any questions or to declare your intent or request your pre-health committee application packet:
Maiju Lehmijoki Wetzel, Ph.D., B.S.N., R.N.
Director, Pre-Health Programs and National Fellowships
Letter of recommendation writers: please submit your recommendation letters on institutional letter head and with signature to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will confirm the receipt of your letter.