The department of public safety takes steps continuously to advance the public safety of our campus community. Here are some initiatives we have undertaken:
- Addressing Racism and Bias issues: As part of Loyola's multi-pronged approach, we have partnered with our Loyola colleagues across campus to engage in extensive training about racism and bias. A portion of that training involved classroom instruction, collaborative book studies, and survey tools to facilitate discussions.
- Dedicated to Supporting Students: The department created a victim-centered, trauma-informed sexual assault response policy that coordinates response with university partners and city police. For more information about reporting, visit the Title IX website.
- Safety at Your Fingertips: With the assistance of the Loyola community, the department of public safety launched the LiveSafe mobile security app, which allows users to report incidents and send messages to Loyola University Maryland campus safety officers anytime, anywhere.
- Training with Baltimore Police: During the summer of 2019, we conducted the first ever full-scale exercise with Baltimore City Police patrol officers and SWAT teams.
- Specialized Training: All patrol officers have been trained as non-emergency vehicle operators (NEVO) drivers. This training specializes in low-speed vehicle operations, particularly for college campuses with heavy pedestrian traffic. Supervisors have also received Sirche certification, which provides hands-on training for crime scene investigations and utilizing forensic tools.
- Setting High Standards: We’ve also made it a department priority to certify all dispatchers as Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO). This certified training meets or exceeds national qualifications. We also completed Tactical Dispatcher Training with Baltimore City Police SWAT instructors.
- Building Community: The department has worked hard to establish relationships with the American Red Cross and Homeland Security for additional resources and support.
Please reach out with questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Public Safety