If you believe you have been a target of bias related behaviors, please consider the following:
- If emergency situation (need medical attention or feel unsafe) call Campus Police at 410-617-5911 or 911 immediately.
- Preserve the evidence.
- Written slur, graffiti, and/or text message – Do not erase the text.
- E-mail, Facebook message, etc. – Print as soon as possible.
- Take a picture or video record the evidence (graffiti, physical injuries, license plate, or anything else relevant)
- Verbal incident/altercation – Immediately write down everything that was said.
- Witnesses – Gather witness information and encourage them to submit a report/document what they observed.
- Report the incident. There are several avenues for reporting a bias incident.
- Anonymous online form. Documents, pictures, etc. can be uploaded on the form.
- Contact the Dean of Students Office 410-617-5171 or stop by Jenkins Hall 105.
- Contact an RA or member of Student Life staff. Student Life staff members are required to report bias behaviors to their immediate supervisor and complete the online bias related behaviors report form. This form is sent directly to the Associate Dean of Students.
- Contact Campus Police 410-617-5911.
- You do not have to determine whether or not the offensive conduct constitutes as bias related behaviors. Report the incident and the Dean of Students Office will begin the investigation process to determine the best way to address the incident. The incident will be handled in a confidential manner, except in cases where the University is required by law to notify the community. In cases of notification, the person reporting the behaviors/targeted person will be consulted to determine the appropriate communication to the community.
- It is best to report behaviors as soon as possible to facilitate the investigation.
- Seek out support. For support in coping with and managing these situations, please contact one of the following departments:
Dean of Students Office: 410-617-5171
Counseling Center: 410-617-2273
ALANA Services: 410-617-2310
Campus Ministry: 410-617-2768
Center for Community Service and Justice: 410-617-2380
Disability Support Services: 410-617-2750
Student Life: 410-617-5081
Women's Center: 410-617-5844