Skip to main content

Student Success Emergency Fund


The student success emergency fund was established in 2021 to support Pell eligible, near Pell eligible and/or first-generation undergraduate students to access financial resources to obtain instructional supplies (e.g., textbooks) and/or emergency funds not covered by financial aid. The Fund continues to support primarily undergraduate students; graduate students can also apply for emergency funds.  The Student Success Emergency Fund is supported by generous alumni, grants, and university operational dollars to aid students with unexpected expenses.  Please understand that financial resources in the fund are limited.  


Students can access the Student Success Emergency Fund application on The Bridge. The Student Success Emergency Fund Application can be found here.  Those requesting textbook or instructional supplies should complete the application here. Applications are reviewed by members of the Vice President of Student Development /Dean of Students, Financial Aid and Student Administrative Services. In addition, students are asked to meet with a member of the Student Development staff.  We respect the privacy and dignity of every student asking for emergency funds, and questions asked are necessary to ensure that students are accessing all the resources available to them.  During the meeting, students are asked questions regarding the available resources on campus and if they are maximizing their financial aid packages, including but not limited to, the Federal Stafford Loan (a low interest subsidized loan of approximately $5,500 - $7,500). Each applicant’s financial aid package is reviewed to ensure that approved assistance from the Student Success Emergency Fund does not exceed our cost of attendance.  Federal regulations require that all student aid and assistance must fall within the annual cost of attendance. The Student Success Emergency Fund Committee then makes a determination on the student’s eligibility for funding. 

All requests are private and application information will only be shared with Loyola University staff reviewing resource decisions.  

Qualifying Requests 
  • Meal plan points (not an entire meal plan) 
  • Students with food insecurity needs can also receive resources through the Campus Ministry Pantry and through SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits. 
  • Rent for one month up to $1500 
  • Parking pass (commuters only) 
  • Temporary child-care up to $500 (one week) 
  • Clothing (e.g. winter coat, interview suit or other necessities) 
  • Emergency travel up to $1500  
  • Limited Technology – the University will purchase a ThinkPad laptop for up to $600 
  • Medical expenses not covered by insurance (insurance must be used prior to request) that hinders a student from continuing at Loyola (not elective procedures) 
  • Mental health or psychoeducational evaluations to determine if a disability exists. Reimbursement would be for expenses after any insurance coverage is applied, and it is up to the amount that the  would charge after financial aid is applied. Here is a link to the LCC financial information form.  
  • Textbooks - grants will only be provided once per academic year per student. Students should first check with Student Support and Wellness Promotion, as they have a library of previously used textbooks. Students should also check with professors to see if they have an additional copy of the textbook and check with the Loyola-Notre Dame Library.  The staff will order the least expensive option from the University Bookstore (typically rent, used books, then new).  Students will be expected to return all rental books on time to the University books.  Funds received from used or new books that are sold back to the bookstore should be returned to the Student Success Emergency Fund. 
  • Course materials including supplies, access codes and testing fees where applicable. 
  • Some experiential learning expenses for internships, service learning, mission trips, summer research, study abroad and other co-curricular experiences 
Non-qualifying requests include, but are not limited to: 
  • Tuition expenses – including tuition, room and board and fees (including study abroad).  Students who have questions or concerns about paying their bill should contact
  • Student Administrative Services (scroll to the bottom of the page to find the point of contact based on last name) or Financial Aid  
  • Any outstanding bill to the University 
  • Technology – other luxury type items 
  • Elective medical procedures 
  • Parking tickets or fines 
  • Federal or state taxes 
  • Family member(s) expenses 
  • Personal debt including student loans, credit cards, etc. 
  • Shipping and storage expenses 

Contact Us