Santiago, Chile: March 1- 10, 2019
We invite you to join us for the 2019 Chilean Study tour. This nine-day study tour is an opportunity to combine your academic study with an immersion in South American culture. What makes this study tour unique is the ability for participants to interact with alumni from Loyola’s MBA program in Chile. Spend five nights in Santiago, the capital of Chile, and the last two nights of the tour in Viña del Mar, a beach resort near Santiago.
Scenic Overview of Santiago
Viña del Mar
The study tour combines classroom learning, opportunities to meet and interact with Chilean Business executives, and cultural experiences. The highlight of the study tour is the site visit – an opportunity to visit multinational corporations as well as Chilean businesses and U.S. companies doing business in Chile. The site visit allows study tour participants an opportunity to have a dialogue with senior Chilean business executives. While the specific sites visited changes from year to year, in prior tours, we have visited such sites as ACHS, Codelco, General Motors, Hogar de Cristo, Johnson & Johnson, Samsung, and Undurraga.
Hogar de Cristo
The Chilean Study tour is, however, not limited to site visits. Students will have ample opportunity to immerse themselves in Chilean culture. On past study tours, we have taken a day tour into the Andes, toured Valparaiso (a port city), visited the Naval Museum, and gone to a winery. Students have also taken a bike tour of Santiago, hiked to a glacier in the Andes, attended a soccer match, visited a ski resort in the Andes, and visited Isla Negra (the home of Pablo Neruda, Chile’s Nobel prize winning author). The tour concludes with a visit to the beach in Viña del Mar.
Vineyard at Undurraga
Course Details and Requirements
Students may elect to enroll in either GB 779: International Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility or GB 748: International Marketing. Both classes satisfy the experiential learning requirement and count as a concentration course for the International Business concentration. In addition, GB 748 counts as a concentration course for the Marketing concentration and GB 779 counts as a concentration course for the Management concentration.
In order to enroll in GB 748, students must either have successfully completed GB 702 prior to registration or enroll in GB 702 during the Fall 2018. In order to enroll in GB 779, students must have either completed GB 700 prior to registration or enroll in GB 700 during the Fall 2018 or Spring 2019 semester.
Students are required to attend all pre-trip classes, fulfill course requirements as required by the course syllabus, and attend all site visits.
The class dates* (all at our Columbia Graduate Center) are:
- Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10am-1pm
- Saturday, January 19, 2019, 10am-1pm
- Saturday, February 2, 2019, 10am-1pm
- Saturday, February 9, 2019, 10am-1pm
- Saturday, February 23, 2019, 10am-1pm
*Saturday, February 16th is a make-up date
The trip is from March 1st, 2019 to March 10th, 2019.
The cost for the study tour will be approximately $2900, which includes:
- All airfare and transfers
- Hotel accommodations (double occupancy) including breakfast (5 nights in Santiago, 2 nights in Viña del Mar)
This fee does not include:
- Tuition for the three-credit MBA course (this will be collected with your Spring tuition)
- Expenses for passports (and visas for non-U.S. passport holders)
- Health, accident, or travel insurance
- The price is subject to change due to currency fluctuations and airline fuel surcharges
- Equivalent substitutions may be made for company visits, hotels, and travel
- Students may elect a single surcharge for an additional $1390
How to Apply
The study tour is limited to approximately 24 participants. Individual places will be reserved in the order in which completed application is received. Priority will be given to PMBA students: 1) who are nearest to graduation; and 2) who have not been on Loyola MBA sponsored study tours in the past.
To reserve a spot, students must furnish a completed application. Please download and email the completed application to email@example.com with a cc: to Nan Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be received beginning at 9AM on September 10th. Unfortunately, applications received before 9AM will not be considered. You will be notified by Friday, September 14th if your application has been accepted.
Study Tour participation is subject to the following deadlines:
- If your application is accepted, a deposit of $1500 is due by September 19th
- The balance of the $2900 is due in full by November 6th
- Tuition for the course will be collected with your spring tuition
- Any cancellations will be subject to the following refund schedule:
- Between September 19th and November 6th: will result in forfeiture of the $1500 deposit
- After November 6th: will result in forfeiture of the entire fee (100%)
No invoices or reminder notices will be sent.
These dates are subject to change.